Highlighting language variants in a structured way

Highlighting language variants in a structured way

Power UserPower User

Oct 05, 2005#1

Hi,

I deal a lot with several variants of Basic (Rational Rose Basic, Rational Robot Basic, SaxBasic, Visual Basic, VB.Net, Word Basic... - you get the picture)

Is it possible to use multi-language support to handle these variants easily?

What I'm thinking is to have a Base Basic, which contains all the common stuff and then have variants that use it.

At present, I have to amend each variant which is a real pain...

If it's doable, what are the essential elements of the process?

TIA,
    Paolo
    There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
    Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 06, 2005#2

that would be ###very### neat!
      The variation that comes to mind is with any web-app scripts - PERL/ASP/PHP etc, the highlights need to be able to distinguish between the code and page output
      e.g.

PERL:

$somevar = qq~<sometags>~;

^ PERL--------^ ^ html-----^^PERL

or

$somevar = qq~select [id],[col1] from [sometable]~;

^ tsql--------------------------------^
      ASP (VBscript)

response.write(somevar & "<sometag>")
      ^vbs------------------------^^html------^

perhaps if one language syntax could have others associated with it to handle highlighting per situation .....

Hey., I know the syntax highlighting of UE still needs some work doing on it, but this would be an amazing watermark to get to!

Power UserPower User

Apr 03, 2009#3

Hi Everyone,

The New Word files for V15 look really NEAT! And IDM have incorporated a couple of my requests over the years. However this one hasn't been... Given the new functionality, is there any way to achieve this or should I put in another request? It would seem to be relatively easy now... Just add a new directive: InheritFrom=<filename>
        and for each section (whose number must agree with the parent file) start each line with + or - to add or delete the selected items...

TIA,
        Paolo
        There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
        Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

Power UserPower User

Apr 06, 2009#4

This is a bit of a tangent, but I put in a feature request for syntax highlighting to support multiple languages in a single file. UE already does this for HTML but I'm hoping for generic support. (e.g. HTML and CSS embedded in a Perl CGI script.) The idea seems to have piqued some interest. If anyone here thinks it's a good idea send a request to IDM. The more people who express interest the more likely it is to happen.