Possible to just launch the integrated WinDbg debugger without building project?

Possible to just launch the integrated WinDbg debugger without building project?

Mar 28, 2009#1

[edit] Using UEStudio 9, latest version as of this date.

I have a large makefile project that is *never* going to be built from within UEStudio... it just can't work. That's no problem, I'll just build it by invoking with command lines.

But UEStudio seems to require that I build my project before it will actually start the debugger. Whenever I issue the Start Debugger command, it insists that it must first build the project. I want a project because I also want to use the CTAGs feature, but would like to ignore the build steps.

So the question is, is there any way to get UEStudio to just start WinDbg with the path and parameters that I specify, and *ignore* the build step entirely? Just start the darn debugger no matter what the state of the project is, build wise!

I just want to use UEStudio for the debug\edit portion of the dev cycle, and the building will be all outside UEStudio. This seems like it should be simple, but maybe it was designed so that it isn't possible to do this?

I'm a new user, evaluating whether to buy, and the integrated debugging is a major feature for me. If I could debug and edit inside the UEStudio IDE, kick off an external build, then restart the debugger with the new binary, that would just rock.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 03, 2009#2

I used UEStudio for embedded devices and so don't use the integrated WinDbg debugger.

Does it make a change on this behavior if you uncheck the option Compilable on the Settings tab of the Project Settings dialog?

I would expect with this option not enabled to be able to run the debugger without that message.

If that does not make a difference I suggest to ask IDM support for help by email. It looks like the Windows programmer using WinDbg are not often looking into the forum or simply have their projects always compilable.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Apr 09, 2009#3

Thanks, Mofi... an excellent suggestion, but it doesn't work. When you uncheck the "compilable" option, you can no longer even try to launch the debugger. This pretty much confirms that the WinDbg support is tied to building your project in the UEStudio IDE, which is too bad. It should be easy to launch the debugger without requiring that.

The only way around this that I can think of is to somehow fake UEStudio into thinking that my project has built successfully, without it actually trying to compile all the files, etc, etc.

Do you think that IDM support would answer questions for someone who has not yet bought the product? I guess there's no harm in trying....

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 10, 2009#4

Seattle Chris wrote:Do you think that IDM support would answer questions for someone who has not yet bought the product?
          That's what I would have suggested next. You can run WinDbg as user tool, but then it would be outside UEStudio. But ask IDM support.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria