Multiple lines of tabs in UES '09?

Multiple lines of tabs in UES '09?

NewbieNewbie

Jan 14, 2009#1

In UES '06 I often was editing 10+ files which made the multiple lines of tabs very handy. In '09 that feature is gone apparently (can't find setting in the massive config dialog) and replaced with nifty colored tabs. Many of the files I edit have very long names as well so I could be looking at a max of 3-4 tabs shown at the same time. I know there's a dropdown arrow to pick from open files, the problem with this is that it doesn't show the full file path when hovering over the file name so if two files I open are named the same from different dirs I have to guess.

Any chance I missed a setting to enable multiple lines of tabs or even to revert tab LnF back to the '06 way? This was one of the biggest plusses this editor had over others if you ask me. The new tabs look nice, but if UES is to be advertised as a Studio/IDE type of editor then it should be expected that dozens of files could be open at the same time and I think the ability to have multiple lines of tabs is key.

One other thing, I installed on Windows 2000 and received an error about missing gdiplus.dll on my system. The installer may want to check for this somehow and warn that it's missing?

Thanks!

Josh

Power UserPower User

Jan 15, 2009#2

This is something I miss as well from the previous release. Unfortunately, with the new application framework that has been implemented for UES 09, this feature is not yet available. I contacted IDM support over it, and got the following reply from Troy:
      With the current implementation there is a limit to the number of tabs that can be displayed at the same time. There is a dropdown that is accessible using the down arrow on the right side of the tab menu toolbar that will show a list of all open files that you can select a file from. You can also use the Open tab in the Workspace Manager to see a similar list.

Our developers are working to try to support multi-line tabs within the updated framework but this is not currently possible.
      Sorry, can't help you with the missing file for Win 2000. I run XP Pro.

Cheers...

Frank

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 16, 2009#3

GDI+ is by default installed with .NET Framework. It looks like you don't use automatic Windows updates for your Windows 2000 PC or you have explicitly chosen not to install this package (like I too). I'm not sure, but I think some other packages like MS Office 2003 install GDI+ too.

At Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+ you can download from Microsoft the GDI+ install package.

But first the GenuineCheck tool with 1.5 MB must be downloaded and run to be able to download the 858 KB install package for GDI+. It looks like IDM is not allowed to verify presence of this package and install it because Microsoft offers it only for genuine Windows.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 16, 2009#4

Sorry - I wasn't clear on the gdi+ thing - I was able to find the package to install without incident after googling for the dll name when the UES program prompted me with missing dll error. I was mainly suggesting that it might be good for the installer to recognize this problem and prompt the user: "In order to use UEStudio, you must also install GDI+ <link>" or similar.

Thanks for the updates on multiple tabs - I'll adjust, but I am glad to hear the devs are working on a way to bring back the multi-line functionality.

Josh

Jan 16, 2009#5

But first the GenuineCheck tool with 1.5 MB must be downloaded and run to be able to download the 858 KB install package for GDI+. It looks like IDM is not allowed to verify presence of this package and install it because Microsoft offers it only for genuine Windows.
            Just noticed this - thought it was your sig for some reason as it was greyed out. :)

Josh

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 18, 2009#6

I too was disappointed to see the lack of multi-line tabs. As the above poster said, I also open many files which I switch rapidly between. Personally, I will be waiting as long as possible until this feature is implemented before upgrading.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 29, 2009#7

Ouch, and when choosing a non-visible file in the pop-up, the file is placed right at the beginning of the tabs, so my alphabetical tab order is getting dissolved the more I jump between files.
                I have to say, I'm disappointed about this step backwards, being able to switch between files quickly is so important to me that I need to downgrade after trying UES09 after 5 minutes.
                And I was so happy to find line numbers in the find string dialogue window .. :(

Kana

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 30, 2009#8

Thanks for posting this topic. I, too, was a little confused and scoured the help files and config settings to no avail. Luckily this post was in the forum. I miss the multiple file tab lines and am looking forward to its return. :roll:
                  Two rules of development:
                  1) Computers work for people. People do not work for computers.
                  2) Maintainability is all that matters.

Power UserPower User

Mar 13, 2009#9

The UE 15.00 beta has new option called "Scroll tabs in single line mode" which basically restores the previous behavior of the file tabs scrolling left or right when there are more than can be displayed on the screen width. I would assume that once UE 15.00 is released these sort of enhancements will be included in UES 9.00

Cheers...

Frank

NewbieNewbie

Apr 18, 2009#10

One other thing, I installed on Windows 2000 and received an error about missing gdiplus.dll on my system. The installer may want to check for this somehow and warn that it's missing?
                      I just tried to install the latest version (15.00) of UltraEdit on my Windows 2000 machine and ran into the same thing. Since you reported this 3 months ago you'd think they would have fixed it by now, but alas.

I looked around on my system and found several copies of GDIPLUS.DLL. I copied the most recent and official looking one from C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 to the UltraEdit installation directory and all seems to be well now. Geesh, can't they get the installer to do this, detect the missing dependency, or just ship GDIPLUS.DLL with the install?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 18, 2009#11

Olin wrote:Can't they get the installer to do this, detect the missing dependency, or just ship GDIPLUS.DLL with the install?
                        No, see my post above. GDI+ is not free, it is copyright protected by Microsoft. So IDM has not the right to ship the DLL with their products. The installer could search for gdiplus.dll in the folders specified by environment variable PATH and inform the user that the GDI+ package is missing. But I guess, nobody has informed IDM that there are users with computers which have that feature not already installed. Interesting is that on your computer the DLL was installed with the .NET Framework, but it looks like the framework is not correct registered and therefore the DLL was not found by Windows.
                        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria