Ctags for PHP

Ctags for PHP

NewbieNewbie

Dec 17, 2004#1

I'd like to use ctags in UltraEdit when programming PHP. My ctag options are as follows:
    Default Tagfile: C:\Program Files\UltraEdit\tags.lst
    ctag exe path/name: C:\Program Files\ctags554\ctags.exe
    ctag parameters: -L %fi -f %fo

I downloaded Exuberant Ctags and did a Project/Create Ctag File in UltraEdit. After doing that my tags.lst has only the following:
    !_TAG_FILE_FORMAT 2 /extended format; --format=1 will not append ;" to lines/
    !_TAG_FILE_SORTED 1 /0=unsorted, 1=sorted, 2=foldcase/
    !_TAG_PROGRAM_AUTHOR Darren Hiebert /[email protected]/
    !_TAG_PROGRAM_NAME Exuberant Ctags //
    !_TAG_PROGRAM_URL http://ctags.sourceforge.net /official site/
    !_TAG_PROGRAM_VERSION 5.5.4 //

And in UltraEdit, if I select a PHP command and hit F11, it says, "Could not find TAG."

I'm using UltraEdit version 10.00c. Please help. What do I need to do to make this work?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 17, 2004#2

Looks correct. What extension have your php files. Ctags only detect *.php *.php3 and *.phtml automatically as PHP. If your files have a different extension, use following parameters --language-force=PHP -L %fi -f %fo.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 20, 2004#3

The extension is php, so that's not the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Dec 20, 2004#4

Are those project files local files or ftp files? I don't think that Uedit's ctags support will work with remote files.

Manni

NewbieNewbie

Dec 20, 2004#5

They're local files.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 21, 2004#6

Maybe your PHP file does not contain any tag which is recognized by ctags. Have you ever tried to run ctag with your php file directly to check, if ctags find any tag. The command line is:

"C:\Program Files\ctags554\ctags.exe" -f "C:\Program Files\UltraEdit\tags.lst" "your file with path"

Check also that the environment variables TEMP and TMP are set to a directory, which exist and you have write access.

Try also -L "%fi" -f "%fo" as ctag options.

If nothing works, download Filemon from SysInternals (Microsoft) and run it during ctags execution from UltraEdit. Use filter with "Include" setting uedit32;ctags instead of *. Look at the log after execution. Maybe you can find, why it doesn't work.

Basic UserBasic User

May 14, 2009#7

Just an FYI for other PHP programmers.

I usually include functions and configuration info in .inc files. To make ctag be able to read all the symbols from the .inc files, as well as the .php files, I use the following ctag options:

Code: Select all

Default Tagfile: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\tags.lst
                ctag exe path/name: C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\GNU\ctags.exe
                ctag parameters: --langmap=php:.php.inc -L %fi -f %fo