UE Portable 15.00 trial will not save files

UE Portable 15.00 trial will not save files

Advanced UserAdvanced User

May 17, 2009#1

I decided to try out UE Portable 15.00 (for the PortableApps environment), and everything seems to work fine except for a couple things - most importantly all the menu items to save (Save, Save As, Save All, Save Selection As) are disabled - I can't save through the menu, Ctrl-S, Alt-F-S or any way I can think of.

There must be some stupid setting that somehow is switched the wrong way - something this fundamental can't be broken.

It's not a permissions or read-only attribute problem; other editors (including UE Studio 6.60.1.1001) are able to save edits to these files just fine (and UE Portable detects the changes just fine as well). That is, unless the PortableApps environment somehow turns off the ability to save files, which would make a text editor rather useless...

The other thing that is not working is any Printing menu items - I suppose this might be for the same reason, but I'm not sure (again printing works fine in UEStudio).

Any ideas?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 17, 2009#2

Verify that the setting Configuration - File Handling - Load - Open files as read-only by default is not enabled.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

May 17, 2009#3

Mofi wrote:Verify that the setting Configuration - File Handling - Load - Open files as read-only by default is not enabled.
        Nope - not enabled. I even tried enabling then disabling it (and the "Remember the read-only-setting..." option), but no change in behavior.

When the UE Mobile trial starts, the dialog says there's 45 days left, but I wonder - is there some trial mode which does not permit saves? I know some software trials limit saves as part of the 'incentive' to register. I didn't think that UltraEdit did that, but I'm exploring possibilities. Maybe on systems that have seen several UE/UES trials (maybe as a way to prevent perpetually installing trials to avoid having to pay)? Over the months (or has it only been weeks?) since UE 15, UES 9 and now UE mobile have been out, I've done at least 3 or 4 trial installs to see if I want to upgrade. Is that possibly a factor?

May 20, 2009#4

It turns out that this is not a problem with my setup - it's a limitation of the trial. The response from IDM:
          I'm sorry for the confusion, the trial version of UltraEdit for PortableApps disables these features until the product is registered.