Need Help with creating a Google:Define feature

Need Help with creating a Google:Define feature

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 16, 2005#1

I've tried, but have been unsuccessful so far. I want to create a tool(?) or external link with a toolbar button that will allow me to define the word at the insertion point/cursor using Google's Define feature. EmEditor has this ability by defining the Command Line to an External Tool as:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A$(CurText)&btnG=Google+Search
    Is there a way to do this in UltraEdit?

I've been approaching this the wrong way and can't figure my way through it. Help is appreciated.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Feb 16, 2005#2

The exact same thing doesn't seem to be possible. But instead of using the url directly, can't you simply start your browser as the tool and pass the url as a command line argument. I tried that with Opera and a regular google search and it seems to work.

Btw: Since when does it take the tool configuration dialog 5-10 seconds to close?

Manni

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 16, 2005#3

I tried that and it just chokes, mainly on the (CurText) part. I'm sure someone can figure it out, maybe post a sample Tool Configuration dialog. Either way, this would be a handy tool for writers who use UltraEdit to have.

Feb 16, 2005#4

Not quite, but closer. Okay, if I go to the Advanced menu, Run Windows program and type
          C:\Program Files\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe http://www.google.com/search?q=define:
          at least I can get halfway there, getting UltraEdit to open the Google Define page in my browser. (Substitute Firefox.exe or iexplore.exe for netcaptor.exe above.)

Feb 17, 2005#5

zridling wrote:I tried that and it just chokes, mainly on the (CurText) part.
            Oh. That's the problem. UltraEdit has %sel% which gets replaced with the currently selected text. At least in v11.

Manni

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 18, 2005#6

Ah, so the proper code is:
              C:\Program Files\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A%sel%&btnG=Google+Search

and the entire word must be highlighted. Now if I could just connect it to a toolbar button... Thanks for the tip, Manni.

Feb 18, 2005#7

Right-click any toolbar, choose customize, scroll down in the right list all the way and you'll find all the user tools at the bottom of that list (you just have to remember which numer your tool actually is).

Manni

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 20, 2005#8

It puts the Tool icon there, but it still doesn't work. It's not that big a deal. It's just handy as heck in EmEditor and I wanted it in UE. Thanks again Manni.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 21, 2005#9

See my Google search tool using Internet Explorer as browser:

Command line :
                    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" "http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=%sel%"
                    Working Directory : empty
                    Menu Item Name : Google Search
                    Check "ouput to list box"
                    Check "Capture output"
                    And used an icon image

That works fine
                    Regards from France
                    Kenavo from Brittany

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 23, 2005#10

Followed your exact instructions and it only produces an output error. Am I missing something? Error message reads:
                      'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 23, 2005#11

You miss the quotes, they are needed because of the long
                        file name (with space).

Regards from Geneva.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 24, 2005#12

This fool finally got it, thanks Palou and everyone. I'm grateful! Just for reiteration, here's how mine looks:

"C:\Program Files\NetCaptor\NetCaptor.exe" "http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl ... tnG=Search"

MENU ITEM NAME: Google Define
                          SAVE ACTIVE FILE: Checked
                          OUTPUT TO LIST BOX: SELECTED
                          CAPTURE OUTPUT: Checked

Finally, don't forget that the entire word must be highlighted.