Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 10, 2009#16

rhapdog wrote:I assume that once we have our colors safely in the wordfiles for version 15, we can safely remove that information from our INI file, as it would no longer be needed?
    I would keep it. Maybe you will need the color settings again. You could need it when you add in future a wordfile to your existing set of wordfiles which does not contain color settings and you want that UltraEdit automatically copies your preferred color scheme also into this new wordfile. Unfortunately UE v15.00.0.1035 and later removes every [Language X Colors] group from the uedit32.ini copied into a wordfile. My standard wordfile contains 18 languages. So now only [Language 19 Colors] and [Language 20 Colors] are still present in uedit32.ini. Bad in case I open now a project with a project specific wordfile containing the languages L1 to L6. My preferred color scheme is not present anymore in the INI and the result is that I can manually copy now my preferred color scheme from one language in the standard wordfile to all my languages in all my project specific wordfiles. The whole color scheme management is definitely not very good for advanced users.
    Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Apr 10, 2009#17

I'll keep a zipped copy of all the [Language X Colors] in a separate backed up file, just in case. That way I can quickly append it if necessary.

I'll also create a "default" color scheme "blank" word file, not that UltraEdit would use it, but I could use it to recreate my word files if necessary, and I can create a macro to copy from that default to any NEW word files I may add in the future.

Apr 10, 2009#18

Okay, I wrote a set of macros to help me with this, and I'm willing to share with anyone who wants access to them. Is it acceptable for me to just "link" to the .zip file?

The set of macros written by me includes the following:
        • Strip Colors: For those who want to remove all syntax highlight coloring from their wordfiles so they can share wordfiles without sharing their colors.
        • Export Colors: For those who want to export their colors to a short file and share these colors with other people, or another machine.
        • Import Colors: For those who want to change a wordfile's colors to match that of either another wordfile they are importing from OR from a file someone else exported to using the "Export Colors" macro.
        I have tested it locally, and it works fine on my installation. I would like someone else to test it before I just open it up to everyone.

There are instruction files included in the .zip archive for each macro. I have also included a sample "theme" for syntax highlighting that you can use to import. It is the Tango Dark variant found at New Color Scheme (Tango Dark).

It also includes instructions for sharing "User Color Schemes" by editing the INI file, just like in that other thread. Credit to Nologic for the instructions on editing User Color Schemes and for the Tango Dark theme, which I use as my default.

Who wants to test it?

EDIT & NOTE: This only works if all your word files are separated into separate files!
        “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 12, 2009#19

rhapdog -

Thanks for the kudo's.

Mofi -

I'm probably in part responsible for how color scheme's are now handled...tho I kind of envisioned something a bit different.

Old Email 7/7/08:

Anyways I've been working on porting over a scheme -

http://blogs.gnome.org/pbor/2007/08/01/ ... le-schemes

What I got so far...kind of jumbled up right now:

[User Color Schemes]
          1=Tango - Dark;13621203;3552302;15527662;8751752;13621203;5461845;8866336;0;13621203;0;13621203;3552302;0;164;0;1776151;0;11976122;0;1776151

[Language 14 Colors]
          Colors=13621203,8751752,8751752,54509,13621203,7256553,13606770,3465866,11042733,4108284,2697711,54509,23758,
          Colors Auto Back=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,
          Colors Back=3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,3552302,
          Font Style=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,

which was going fine till I decided I should match up the class for AutoIt with those of our langs as best as possible so the scheme would flow better between langs, which got me thinking that the color scheme method in UE is a little to rough around the edges right now.

As is the whole of the scheme is broken up in two parts, the base editor then the lang, this is a bit of a pain to work with this way...plus its not as flexable as it could and should be.

Maybe I'll photoshop something up for you later if your actually interested in any of this...but for now just hear me out and think things over. :)

Ideally it would be better to create complete schemes, where everything is defined in one spot (plain text through word list 8), then the end user could select from a list of available schemes to be applied directly to the default editor or any lang, so that everything is changed...not a partial change like what we have currently.

Further it would be nice to be able to move lang classes up and down a scheme's color pallet, since a scheme's default pallet order may not be ideal for a given lang.

Summery:
          Complete scheme's
          Selectable complete scheme's per lang
          Lang classes able to scrub a schemes color pallet, for proper highlighting

Actually I think the creation of a scheme edit panel would be nice, that way one could import schemes from other editors to grab the color pallet, then place them where they would be most effective (as its not likely to be many 1:1 conversions) while seeing changes performed on the fly, while sample code is open in the editor. Maybe the eye dropper to grab colors from other editor's or screenshots, where there is no hope of performing an import.

Hehe probably not making much sense...but if the idea's are interesting let me know and I'll see about doing some photoshop work to aid in getting the idea's across.

NewbieNewbie

May 22, 2009#20

I'm totally confused now.

I too upgraded to v15 from v12 and UE was still using my single wordfile. I wanted to add a wordfile, read about the separate files and put it in %appdata%. That didn't work. I changed the wordfile location to the UE-install\wordfiles directory and that didn't work. I changed it back to %appdata% and then UE copied them all back to UE-install\wordfiles. Why are there two directories and why is UE copying them back and forth? What the heck is that about?

Ultimately I just threw up my hands and added the new wordfiles to my old single wordfile and reset the location back to that.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 23, 2009#21

rwhirn wrote:Why are there two directories and why is UE copying them back and forth?
              There are two directories for supporting environments with multi-user accounts on the same computer. UltraEdit is installed by an administrator and the installer unpacks the standard wordfiles into the only directory which is equal for all user accounts, the wordfiles subdirectory in the UltraEdit program directory. But this directory is normally write-protected for restricted users or even for the users with administrator privileges on Windows Vista with UAC enabled. So many users could not make any modification on the wordfiles like adding wordfiles, changing words or other definitions in the wordfiles or simply save their color scheme in the wordfile. Therefore the default wordfiles directory is in the user specific application data directory where every user has full control. But now the problem is how to get the standard wordfiles into the user specific directory with a path depending on the user account name. That can be done only by UltraEdit itself on start of UltraEdit or by the user manually.

At Updating wordfiles I have explained in a long post how complicated the whole wordfiles management is now when taking all the possible scenarios into account. I'm sure that the IDM developers have not yet fully realized all possible scenarios. So there must be still something done on the wordfiles management by UE and UES to make it more smart in future versions for all users - new installations and upgrades from any other version of UltraEdit.

My macros to manage wordfiles and their color settings may be helpful for you. BTW: I also still use one wordfile with currently 18 languages instead of multiple wordfiles in a directory.

NewbieNewbie

May 24, 2009#22

Thanks for the great explanation.

I have another confusion question. I'm confused about the whole XXX_LANG thing. In my old (but still current) wordfile.txt I have MANY languages that are keyed as "HTML_LANG". The documentation now says that's a bad thing, there should only be one HTML_LANG and all others should have their own keyword. I work mostly in PHP, so I tested by changing my PHP section to PHP_LANG and I see that it works fine. (I actually copied in the NEW php.uew file, so it gets rid of all the superfluous HTML tags).

So my question is how do I make other HTML accompanying languages work? I also have a language section for SMARTY tags that is keyed "HTML_LANG" and has "html" as its file extension. It used to work in the past, the selected VIEW AS language would be "HTML + Smarty", but now it shows as plain "HTML" (which the docs say is normal now), but the SMARTY syntax highlighting is no longer working. I assume this means that in the past UED was skipping the HTML language section and picking up the HTML + Smarty because it came later in the wordfile.

I think its the same as Javascript in an HTML file. That seems to be working still. But the docs seem to imply that this is something all done internally by UED and we the users have no control over it. So how does one get another inside-HTML language like Smarty working?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 25, 2009#23

The language markers xxx_LANG are mainly for multi-language syntax highlighting of HTML files with ASP, CSS, JScript, PHP sections embedded. Therefore the language markers HTML_LANG, ASP_LANG, CSS_LANG, JSCRIPT_LANG, PHP_LANG should exist only once in (all) wordfile(s). UltraEdit uses these language markers to find the syntax highlighting language which should be used to highlight a HTML, ASP, CSS, JScript or PHP block in a HTML file. If multiple wordfiles uses the same language marker, you don't have control anymore which syntax highlighting language is really used by UltraEdit for a HTML, ASP, CSS, JScript or PHP block.

Prior v15.00 the language number was important. I have never tested it, but I guess the first language with the appropriate language marker according to the language number was used. With UE v15.00 and the multiple wordfiles support the language number has no importance anymore. The syntax highlighting languages are loaded from the wordfile(s) and sorted alphabetically. So the order for searching for a syntax highlighting language with language marker xxx_LANG is now different to prior v15.00.

I think, IDM has written in help that only one language can have HTML_LANG to avoid the problem that the user does not really know which syntax highlighting language is used for HTML. I know, HTML_LANG enables also a special syntax highlighting mechanism internally as documented in help of UltraEdit about syntax highlighting and that this special mechanism is maybe needed also for languages similar to HTML. I have not tested it, but I think you can use HTML_LANG also for other languages as well as the file extension determines which syntax highlighting language should be used primary. Maybe it is necessary additionally that all other languages with HTML_LANG are in the order of interpretation below the syntax highlighting language for HTML. I don't know how the order of interpretation is now with UE v15.00, I have never analyzed it.

About SMARTY: I don't know anything about SMARTY, but I can remember that I have answered some syntax highlighting questions related to SMARTY and as far as I remember correct SMARTY is just HTML + some extensions. Is it not possible to combine the syntax highlighting language for HTML with the language for SMARTY to 1 syntax highlighting language working fine for HTML as well as SMARTY?

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 10, 2009#24

I was one of those who suggested having colors in the wordfile, but my idea was to have the default colors in the wordfile and continue to keep the current/customized colors in the INI file.

Read more posts (-6 remaining)