Open specific file in a different environment

Open specific file in a different environment

NewbieNewbie

Jun 19, 2009#1

Hello

I was reading somewhere (but forgot where!) that it's possible to open a file in a different environment than the actual environment, e.g. if you set 'software developer' as env, but want to open a .txt file as environment "Texteditor". I thought I have to cklick shift or Alt or so with, but don't remember ??

please help, Kind Regards, Kai

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 20, 2009#2

I don't know something about opening a file in a different environment. In an instance of UEStudio only one environment can be active. So using a different environment is only possible with opening a second instance of UEStudio.

It is possible from within UEStudio/UltraEdit to start a new instance of UEStudio/UltraEdit using Advanced - Open New Instance of UEStudio/UltraEdit, select a different environment and open a file in this second instance.

However, I could be wrong and there is really a (non documented) feature to open a file in a new instance with a specified environment.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 20, 2009#3

Hi.

What I meant is this (I found it again):
        Open an Environment in a new instance
        Should you wish to maintain your current environment while switching over to a new one in a new instance of the application, you can easily do so by CTRL + clicking on the environment you'd like to switch to!
        --> http://www.ultraedit.com/products/uestu ... loper.html

I'm using UES, but I guess it's the same with UE.

Thanks for replying!
        Regards, Kai

Greetings from Bavaria :-)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 21, 2009#4

Thanks to let me know. I must have missed that. And yes, it works also in UltraEdit. The help page Environments (View menu) does not mention that possibility which is only available via the Select Environment command in the toolbar. I will contact IDM support and ask for adding that to the help too. (Edit: And IDM has documented this parameter in help of UE v15.10.)

I found out the command line parameters required to start UE or UES with 1 or more files in a new instance with specifying also the environment to use:

uedit32.exe /fni /see "name of environment" file1 "file 2"

name of environment is not case-sensitive (on Windows OS). It is important to specify the command line parameters on left side and the files to open on the right side of the command line. Otherwise UE/UES will start only with the specified environment without loading any file. Please note the space between /see and the environment name in double quotes.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria