Key mapping problem with Shift+F3

Key mapping problem with Shift+F3

NewbieNewbie

Feb 23, 2005#1

I'm trying to set the key mapping for SearchFindNext and SearchFindPrevious to F3 and Shift+F3, like in Microsoft tools. The F3 works fine, but the Shift+F3 causes all the characters (back to the previous search string) to be highlighted. Is there any way to disable this behavior?

I just tried using Shift+F2 for SearchPrevBookmark, and it works fine - no highlighting.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 24, 2005#2

From help of UE:
      To select all text between the cursor position and the search target, hold down the SHIFT key at the time the search is started with the Find Next button.

So Shift+F3 will always select from the current position to the found string. I don't know any setting to disable the select feature. So you can't use a hotkey with shift key for a searching function (Find Next, Find Prev).
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 03, 2009#3

Hi folks,

Since many years ago I have always wanted to map Shift-F3 to SearchFindPrevious, instead of using the default Ctrl+F3 (just to have it more compatible with other editors I use).

On each new UE installation, the first thing I do is to add this mapping, and hope that FINALLY it will work. I've tested this from version 6 or something, and now latest with version 15.00.0.1047.

After defining the key mapping, searching forward with F3 works fine, but when I press Shift+F3, UE both jumps AND selects everything from current position back to previous find position. Also the Shift+F3 has somehow updated the search history to include this whole new selection, so next time I press F3 my original search setup is destroyed. I want Shift+F3 to ONLY select the previous word, not select everything in between...

Any idea how to fix this bug?

NOTE: After the keyboard remapping, Ctrl+F3 still works fine for SearchFindPrevious, it is only Shift+F3 which screws up.

Thanx,

-Gard

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 03, 2009#4

It is not a bug, it is a feature, see my first post in this thread. And there is still no setting to disable the "Find Select" feature which is very useful, except someone wants to use Shift+??? as hotkey for Find Next or Find Prev.

You can suggest IDM by email to split up the commands SearchFindNext and SearchFindPrevious into:

SearchFindNext ... F3
          SearchFindNextSelect ... Shift+F3
          SearchFindPrevious ... Ctrl+F3
          SearchFindPreviousSelect ... Ctrl+Shift+F3

That would give you the possibility to delete or change the key assignment for SearchFindNextSelect and use Shift+F3 for SearchFindPrevious. That was already done for the commands SearchGotoBookmark and SearchPrevBookmark.

The reason for F3 searching for the selected block and not for the original string is the setting Find Next/Prev finds selected text (not last searched for text) in the Search - Miscellaneous configuration dialog which is obviously enabled in your configuration.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria