how to include tab character in insert/fill columns

how to include tab character in insert/fill columns

Jul 06, 2009#1

When using Insert/Fill Columns , how to represent the tab character ?

I want a tab character inserted at a certain column # for every row.

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 07, 2009#2

It's not possible to enter the tab character in this dialog. That is a general restriction for all edit fields in Windows. The tab key moves the focus to next item in a dialog. Microsoft has simply forgotten that users may want to enter a tab character too. You have to select a tab character in the document, copy it to the Windows clipboard, prepare the column inserting, open the Insert/Fill Columns dialog and paste with Ctrl+V the tab character into the edit field.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Jul 07, 2009#3

In the "convert to fixed column" dialog IDM has enabled the use of "^t" to enter a tab character. Maybe "^t" should also be enabled in the "Insert/Fill columns dialog" ? (Should we request this for a future IE release ?).

I have more than once had to insert a tab in a column. My approach is to insert a character that doesn't already exist in the document (for example ¤) and then use the replace dialog to change it to tab.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 07, 2009#4

jorrasdk wrote:In the "convert to fixed column" dialog IDM has enabled the use of "^t" to enter a tab character. Maybe "^t" should also be enabled in the "Insert/Fill columns dialog" ?
          That would be a good idea. I have even tried what happens when inserting ^t in the "Insert/Fill Columns" dialog before I posted my reply because I hoped that ^t would be interpreted as tab character in this dialog too. That was not the case.

I support the feature request for ^t being interpreted in the "Insert/Fill Columns" dialog as tab character. And ^^ should be interpreted as character ^ if someone wants to use this feature to insert the text "^t" with the entered string "^^t" although I suppose that this does not happen often (ever?). The necessary code would be quite simple in MFC C++.

int iFoundSpecial;
          CString csInsertText;

iFoundSpecial = csInsertText.Replace( "^^\t", "<!IdM TaB!>");
          csInsertText.Replace( "^^", "^"); // <-- This is not really required if the users only use ^t and ^^t and
          csInsertText.Replace( "^\t", "\t"); // the character ^ itself always as is, but that can't be expected.
          if( iFoundSpecial ) csInsertText.Replace( "<!IdM TaB!>", "^t");

jorrasdk, would you be so kind to send such a feature request email to IDM with adding Mofi as additional user requesting it. Thanks.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Jul 07, 2009#5

Mofi wrote:jorrasdk, would you be so kind to send such a feature request email to IDM with adding Mofi as additional user requesting it. Thanks.
            Done!