Auto-hide lists not working correctly?

Auto-hide lists not working correctly?

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 31, 2009#1

I have the auto-hide option turned on for my docked lists (tag list, templates, etc). A list will nicely fly-out for me if I just hover the mouse cursor over its tab, but if I move the mouse cursor away from it (i.e. back to the edit area), it does NOT fly back, even if I haven't clicked anywhere in the list area. To get it to hide itself, I am forced to click somewhere in the edit area, which causes me to lose the cursor position I had in my file before I hovered my mouse over the list tab.

In fact, the lists are so stubborn about not hiding that even if I click menu items, the list will still stay out. I see no way to hide them except clicking in the edit area.

This behavior is really annoying. Is it intended? In every other program I've ever used, an auto-hide item hides itself when the mouse cursor is no longer over it. For example, auto-hiding tool boxes in PaintShop Pro. You don't have to click your image to get rid of the tool box.

I tried changing the hiding speed and smoothness, hitting escape, etc. This almost seems like a bug, but I am not sure, so I am asking here before I report it. I am using version 15.00

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 31, 2009#2

First update to v15.10.0.1025 which should be free for you when having a valid license key for UE v15.xx.

Second which time do you have configured at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Dockable Windows?

The default Time-out before Auto-hide is 700 ms.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Re: auto-hide lists not working correctly?

Jul 31, 2009#3

I updated to 15.10. Thanks for the suggestion. The problem still remains, however.

I tried various time settings in the Auto-hide. Right now I have it set to 400, but it has no effect on this problem, except that when it does finally hide, it changes how fast (which is what I would expect).

I have experimented some. If you USE the list (i.e. you doubleclick an item to have it entered into the text), when you bring the mouse outside the list area the list WILL hide correctly. The condition where it does NOT work is when you DON'T use it - you just hover over the list tab (which brings it out) and then move the mouse cursor back to the text area, without ever having clicked anything in the list.

It also will NOT hide if you use the keyboard to go down the list of list items and hit Enter on a particular item, causing it to entered into the text. In that case, you cannot get it to hide until you click back in the text area.

So it seems kind of inconsistent. I suppose once I get to using it it might be OK, because then I will actually be picking list items to have them entered into the text, after which it hides correctly. Right now, I admit, I've just been experimenting to see what's available in the editor and how I can configure it. But I do wish it worked correctly under all conditions.

Also, sometimes I use the Tag list as a reference - just mouse over it to refresh my memory on how to code something, and then go back and enter the code myself, especially if I am modifying existing code. This is exactly the condition where it doesn't work properly and it causes me to lose my cursor position when I have to click in the text area just to get my cursor back under typing control

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 31, 2009#4

Well, I don't use the auto-hide feature. I toggle the visibility of all views by hotkeys which I have assigned to the ViewShowHide... commands. I don't want to use the mouse when working with a text processing program and this environment gives me the maximum width for the document windows.

However, I have played now with an auto-hided function list view and can explain the current behavior. When mouse is moved over the item of an auto-hided view, the view is opened and gets the focus. A view gets also the focus when it is opened by hotkey. As long as the view has the focus, it will not auto-hide. Just moving the mouse over edit area does not set the focus back to the document window. You have to click into the document window area or on its file tab.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 31, 2009#5

Mofi wrote:I toggle the visibility of all views by hotkeys which I have assigned to the ViewShowHide... commands.
            OK, that's a good idea. I tried it and I like the way it works. Thanks for the suggestion.
            Mofi wrote:However, I have played now with an auto-hided function list view and can explain the current behavior. When mouse is moved over the item of an auto-hided view, the view is opened and gets the focus. A view gets also the focus when it is opened by hotkey. As long as the view has the focus, it will not auto-hide. Just moving the mouse over edit area does not set the focus back to the document window. You have to click into the document window area or on its file tab.
            Yes, I agree with your explanation - that does seem to be how it is working. I guess my complaint is that it shouldn't work that way - that this is poorly designed, and kind of odd and non-standard. However, I'll go with the hot-key toggle idea. Thanks!