How to move a window fully or partly outside visible area back?

How to move a window fully or partly outside visible area back?

NewbieNewbie

Aug 26, 2009#1

I use the "list lines containing string" option frequently when searching text files. At some point, the dialog that lists the matches disappeared and I can't seem to get it back. Now when I search, even if the "list lines containing string" box is checked, I don't see the resulting window - the only thing that happens is that the cursor is moved to the first match.

Any ideas how I can get my search results box back?

Thanks,
    --p.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Aug 26, 2009#2

Maybe it's landed off screen (I've seen some application windows do this on systems that have multiple monitors that have changed position and/or had one of the screens go away). When you've done a "find", try hitting key Alt, key Space and key M (one after the other), which will put the window into 'move' mode if it's active (even if it's not visible) and you can move it on screen using the arrow keys.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 27, 2009#3

Sure enough - that did the trick. Thank you.

MasterMaster

Aug 28, 2009#4

Just wanted to add: in other languages this might be somewhat else, e.g.:
          key Alt, key Space, key V (German: Verschieben).
          You see it when you do a key Alt and key Space in a window that can be seen.
          Just look for "move" in your language and take the character that is underlined.
          Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit