Basic UserBasic User

Mar 31, 2009#16

Code: Select all

while (<>) {
      if (/^\d+ \S+$/) { print; }
    }
    Try the following on above code (assuming UE 14.20.1):
    • Load file into editor
    • use Artistic Style Formatter to edit the file: The file is marked as edited
    • manually edit something else (eg., add 'print "Hello\n";' as a new last line)
    • undo your manual edits. You will notice that the file is no longer marked as edited
    • close the file: you won't be asked whether you want to save or not - boom, you are just out...
    Try the following:
    • Load file into editor
    • manually change it to

while (<>) {
        if (/^\d+ \S+$/) { print; }
        print "Hello\n";
      }
    • use Artistic Style Formatter (entire dialog box left empty)
    • use undo a couple of times and you end up with this beauty:

while (<>) {
        if (/^\d+ \S+$/) {
          priello\n";
      }
    • Feel free to try Redo ...
    So much to feeling comfortable doing any action... The first part I reported to IDM on Dec. 21st, 2008.
    (Yes, I should have tried it on a C-code example...)

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Apr 01, 2009#17

I agree. Disk space is cheap!! Ultraedit should be able to undo anything. As for the reference to Access, I guess that is why I use Oracle. Until I commit a transaction, all!! work is temporary, no matter how much space it takes. I also agree that every time I want to make lots of changes to a file, I should not have to back it up first.
      As a side note to this Ultraedit is limited to I think 15 previous files remembered, when you try to execeed that Ultraedit explains that this is a Windows thing. I wonder about that now that I have EditPad Pro and Office 2007. Office 2007 now remembers up to 50 files. EditPad Pro remembers even more!!

NewbieNewbie

Apr 07, 2009#18

UltraEdit used to talk about unlimited Undo. I thought this discussion was about 15.00. But I just tried it on 14.20.1.1000. I deleted a bunch of lines in one whack. No undo. Ctrl-Z does nothing. Edit->Undo is grayed out. I think I've run into this before, where I couldn't get it to undo past a point. I just reverted to the saved file and started over I think.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 12, 2009#19

Does anyone know when UltraEdit will be able to undo more than 25kb?

When I make single edits of more than 25000 bytes in a text file or more than 95751 bytes in a binary file, the changes cannot be undone by UltraEdit. For example, if I select a block of text 25001 bytes in size and hit delete, I cannot undo that change. I was hoping this would be fixed in v15, but not yet.

Has anyone heard anything about when this will be fixed? I've been working around it for over a year now, so any positive news would really make me happy.

Thanks,
          Tom

Apr 13, 2009#20

sklad2 wrote:As a side note to this Ultraedit is limited to I think 15 previous files remembered, when you try to execeed that Ultraedit explains that this is a Windows thing. I wonder about that now that I have EditPad Pro and Office 2007. Office 2007 now remembers up to 50 files. EditPad Pro remembers even more!!
            I find myself wishing that the UE New Features team could temporarily be reassigned to catching UE up with other editors on some of the more basic features. Things like extended past file history and large undo capabilities exist in even the free editors (notepad.exe for example). More Fancy Features is nice, but I'd settle for the Same Old Features and a working large undo like I am using Notepad and EditPad Lite (Free) for. When I'm moving around large chunks of text, I can't afford to settle for "Revert to saved file", especially if I've saved an accidental edit.

Maybe someday.

MasterMaster

Apr 13, 2009#21

Everyone needs to put in the feature request for it. They generally implement features that are requested a lot.
              “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 15, 2009#22

Why should that help?

Look, this is one of the most posted and read threads on this board; a few other active threads atop the list today also point to the crappy undo... They can't claim they don't know this. Yet, what do you read on top of the list of enhancements for v15 at http://www.ultraedit.com/products/ultra ... anges.html? New gradient toolbars!

MasterMaster

Apr 16, 2009#23

Stefan_E wrote:Why should that help?
                  Because these are user-to-user boards! Not IDM Tech support. If you want a feature, send a request by email, don't just post it on the board. Just because it is read a lot by users, does not mean IDM reads it at all.
                  “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

Site AdminSite Admin

Apr 28, 2009#24

Hello everyone!

Thank you all for your active participation in our community forums. As you know we (IDM support) do not regularly read the forums, but we did see this forum topic and read through your various posts, and we do understand your perspective on the current undo limitations in UltraEdit.

We are looking at removing the undo limitation (or at least making it configurable) later in the year in either v15.10 or 15.20 (probably 15.10). We would like to encourage all of you to make sure you are signed up to receive notifications of beta testing, as we would greatly value your feedback on the changes to undo (and everything else as well).

Thanks again for all of your feedback!

Basic UserBasic User

May 07, 2009#25

Well... YAY! I gotta admit, I hate Notepad, so it'll be nice to use UE for my large edits and never use Notepad again.

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 04, 2009#26

I guess, now that 15.10 change notes are published (http://www.ultraedit.com/products/ultra ... anges.html), we can edit XML without undo and wait for 15.20 :evil:.
                        Let's hope they still keep their (vague enough) promise ...

Power UserPower User

Sep 06, 2009#27

Fixed in UltraEdit v15.20. From changes.txt in UltraEdit program directory of v15.20.0.1016:
                          IDM wrote:- Undo enhancements
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Users can undo larger than previous limit of approx 25-50k per operation
                          - Undo Support for the following:
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Wrap after column #, insert CR/LF
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Convert to Fixed Columns
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Convert to Character Delimited
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Insert String at Every Increment
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Sort
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Convert CRLFs to Wrap
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Convert Wrap to CRLF
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Tabs To Spaces
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Spaces To Tabs (all)
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Spaces To Tabs (leading)
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* XML Convert To CRLFs
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Artistic Styler
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* ReIndent Selection
                          &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;* Reformat Paragraph
                          Cheers...

Frank

Read more posts (-3 remaining)