UltraEdit Mobile: Associate a filetype

UltraEdit Mobile: Associate a filetype

NewbieNewbie

Jun 02, 2009#1

I licensed UltraEdit mobile. On my main computer I always plug in my USB stick which contains UE mobile. On this computer I want to have this UEMobile started whenever a file of a specific type is opened (double clicked). I understand the concept of windows filetype associations.

My problem is:
    When I open a console and type:

Code: Select all

C:\>"C:\Programme\Windows NT\Zubehör\wordpad.exe" c:\boot.ini
    then wordpad is started and boot.ini is loaded.

but when I type:

C:\>"E:\5_portable\UltraEdit Portable\UltraEditPortable.exe" c:\boot.ini
    then UEMobile is started but boot.ini is not loaded.

Why?
    How do I start UEMobile and pass it the name of the file to be loaded?

When this question is answered the configuration of the filetype association should be straitforward.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 02, 2009#2

Don't have UEP yet, but take a look at http://www.ultraedit.com/forums/viewtop ... f=2&t=7868 where some users discussed already how to associate files with UEP.

I don't see a reason why it should not work what you tried. I just would not try it with C:\boot.ini which is a protect system file. Maybe you tried it on Vista and maybe Vista is blocking it to be opened from an application on a removable drive. Applications started from a removable drive have not the same permissions as applications started from local fixed drives, especially on Windows Vista. Maybe you have to change some security settings. But maybe I'm completely wrong with everything I have written in this paragraph.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 02, 2009#3

Thanks for the prompt answer
        I had read that article before posting this.
        I'm using XP with all updates installed.

In response to your answer I created c:\test.txt and and copied the UEMobile to drive C and typed

C:\>"c:\Programme\UltraEdit Portable\UltraEditPortable.exe" C:\test.txt
        Same behaviour. UEMobile starts, but it starts with the project I last used and not with the file I gave as the first command line parameter.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 02, 2009#4

Ah, now I understand. You have enabled the option to remember and reload last opened file and last opened file was a project file. In this case the file on the command line is opened first, then the project file is loaded which causes to close all currently opened files and loads the last opened files of the project.

Uncheck the configuration setting File Handling - Advanced - Open from Explorer also opens files list
          or uncheck the configuration setting File Handling - Load - Reload files previously open on startup
          or uncheck the configuration setting File Handling - Miscellaneous - Close all files when opening or switching projects

See help for these 3 options for details.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 02, 2009#5

uncheck the configuration setting File Handling - Load - Reload files previously open on startup
            Done.
            Now UEMobile is started with only one open file named "Edit1" but still not with the wanted "test.txt".
            Uncheck the configuration setting File Handling - Advanced - Open from Explorer also opens files list
            Done additionally. No change.
            uncheck the configuration setting File Handling - Miscellaneous - Close all files when opening or switching projects
            Done additionally; now all 3 options are unchecked. Still: "Edit1" but not "test.txt".

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jun 02, 2009#6

"UltraEditPortable.exe" is the plugin for the PortableApps environment.

"uep.exe" is the actual editor application.

So I think you want to do something like:

"c:\Programme\UltraEdit Portable\app\UltraEdit\uep.exe" C:\test.txt

NewbieNewbie

Jun 03, 2009#7

Thank you!

That was it. That really was great help.
                I wish you a wonderful day.

Power UserPower User

Jun 03, 2009#8

UltraEditPortable.exe is the launcher. You should use when running it off a flash drive. It exists for a reason. The problem appears to be that the launcher doesn't correctly pass through command line options to uep.exe. You should file a bug report to IDM.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 04, 2009#9

I filed a bug report to IDM.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 27, 2009#10

Hi all,

you may try this third party UEM launcher.
                      Works for me.

http://usb.smithtech.us/apps/downloads/UltraEdit.exe

Instructions:

1. Download the EXE
                      2. Run the selfextracting archive (Run the Exe)
                      3. Go top the subdir "source" and change the filename of the Uedit mobile EXE to uep.exe
                      4. Compile the source with the NSIS portable from http://usb.smithtech.us/apps/index.php
                      5. Copy the new laucher to the portableapps-dir

In fact the line in the .nsis sourcefile has to read:

!define EXE "uep.exe" ; insert program exe name, e.g. "testapp.exe"

Regards

Chris

Oct 11, 2009#11

Hi all,

I just downloaded the new version 15.20 of UltraEdit Mobile.
                        Now the launcher handles command line parameters and passes them through to the uep.exe.

Now you can add a link to the "Send To" folder targeting the "UltraEditPortable.exe".
                        This will allow opening a file via right clicking on it in the Windows Explorer choosing >>Send To/UltraEdit Portable<<

That was what I was waiting for. :-)

Regards an Thank you IDM

Chris