Display Font Vertical Lines appearing

Display Font Vertical Lines appearing

NewbieNewbie

Apr 12, 2005#1

I constantaly am getting the following. I will be in Ultraedit, and after about an hour maybe, these vertical bars show up next to my fonts. They won't go away unless I switch to and from column mode. Now, I have ClearType turned on (and yes, I have tried it both on and off, same results) and I have tried it with the default fonts and with a variety of fonts (both mono and true type, both oem and other). Does anyone have any suggestions or settings that I should try to avoid this? It is rather annoying.

MasterMaster

Apr 12, 2005#2

You say you've tried with ClearType turned on and turned off - but have you tried with the UE ClearType configuration option turned off? That's what fixed the problem for me.
      Software For Metalworking
      http://closetolerancesoftware.com

NewbieNewbie

Apr 12, 2005#3

I should have been more specific. Both with and wi thout the UE and the Windows ClearType settings. I have tried all possible configurations of that and still have the problem creeping up.

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 25, 2005#4

I have the same problem too.

When I copy and paste a block of text, these vertical lines appear.

How can this be solved?

Only in 11.20 though, in previous versions I did not have this problem,

In 11.20 I had to enable clear type, because my fonts were looking faded out.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 22, 2007#5

I have UE 12 and I seem to be having the same problem on a DELL 19" LCD monitor. These little vertical lines will appear in among the code - they line up from row to row.

Sort of| like| this|.
            and the|n like| th|is

when I scroll the page they go away.

Any suggestions. :cry:

MasterMaster

Feb 22, 2007#6

Same problem on my PC here.

If I select some lines, then click somewhere else, AFTER almost every word there is this line. A scroll and its gone.
              looks like this:

Code: Select all

The| problem| is| on| EVERY| font| and| EVERY| size, Cleartype| on| or| off.
              (No | after a comma or colon)
              The | is NOT an extra character, it is just a drawn thin line.

Funny: If I look at tag-files, the > is REPLACED by |

<S> <S> </S> <SAMP> <SAMP> </SAMP> <SCRIPT> <SCRIPT> </SCRIPT> <SELECT> </SELECT>
              looks like this:

<S> <S| </S> <SAMP> <SAMP| </SAMP> <SCRIPT| <SCRIPT> </SCRIPT> <SELECT| </SELECT>
              And now it gets weired: if I then copy this section to Notepad, SOME of those > Tags where a | is have GONE.
              e.g.

... <SAMP <SCRIPT| <SCRIPT> ...
              The problems is on EVERY font and EVERY size, Cleartype on or off.
              I got used to it... :-(
              UE 12.20b+1
              Intel onboard 82865G graphic card
              Eizo L768 19" 1280x1024 res.

Anybody else ?
              Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

NewbieNewbie

Feb 22, 2007#7

I may have fixed it - would be interesting to see if this works for anyone else.

->advanced->configuration->Font Quality - move the slider all the way to the right. And I unchecked the clear type fonts box.

MasterMaster

Feb 23, 2007#8

I had the exact same problem

=> advanced => configuration => editor display => setting this may improve display issues with Clear Type fonts....

It was ON... I turned it OFF and the lines went away.

Here is the German text of the checkbox:
                  "Das Aktivieren dieser Einstellung kann die Anzeige von Clear-Type-Schriften unter Windows XP verbessern"

Thx, Alex
                  Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Oct 31, 2009#9

I have been having this problem and it is resolved by "setting this may improve...", BUT... doing so introduces another
                    problem. With an underscore cursor selected I get apparently-random short, thick, black lines appearing on the bottom
                    line of the display (just above the horizontal scroll bar).

To get these lines, all I have to do is move the cursor along the bottom line of text in the display. Turning off the
                    "setting this ..." option removes this problem but brings back the vertical lines which are the main issue of this topic.

Switching back to a vertical bar cursor also solves it, but I much prefer the underscore.