Adding German aspell dictionary to UltraEdit Portable

Adding German aspell dictionary to UltraEdit Portable

NewbieNewbie

Oct 26, 2009#1

I don't manage to add the German aspell dictionary to UltraEdit Portable. All the HowTo's I found were wrong.
    I installed UltraEdit Portable severall times to have a clean basis, but nothing worked.

I want an English version of UltraEdit Portable with spell checker support for German language. Did anyone manage this?

Regards
    Heiner

Nov 12, 2009#2

So I assume that it's not possible to add the german language to the spell check dictionaries in UE Portable.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 12, 2009#3

No, I'm quite sure this is possible. The possible reason why nobody has answered is that there are not many UEP users working with Aspell and need to add additional dictionaries and visiting the forums regularly. I know the structure of Aspell support for UltraEdit, but not for UEP.

For UltraEdit on Windows there is in the program directory of UltraEdit the subdirectory GNU\aspell. In this subdirectory are 3 subdirectories:

bin contains the Aspell library file (DLL).
        data contains the files with the tables for the encoding standards
        dict contains the dictionary files (*.rws) as well as some text files (*.alias, *.multi) which are needed to build special dictionaries by loading 2 or more dictionaries and merge them in memory to 1 dictionary. (That's what I suppose on looking on the files.)

Into the dict subdirectory additional dictionary files must be copied like your German dictionaries.

After doing that and starting UEP you should see the German dictionaries in Configuration - Spell Checker - Dictionary and select the German dictionary.

Please see also the topics How do I install Aspell dictionary in UltraEdit UE3 and Problems with en_GB-ize dictionary.

I can't tell you a solution which definitely works because I don't use UEP. With help of free tool Filemon from SysInternals (Microsoft) you should be able to see how the Aspell dictionaries are handled by UEP. Just unpack the ZIP archive of Filemon into a local directory on the computer and start it. Enter in the Filter dialog (Ctrl+L) for Include instead of * the word aspell to include only disk accesses for aspell. Then start UEP, open the spell checker configuration dialog, run a spell check and look what Filemon recorded to understand the internal process.

When Filemon is not needed anymore you can uninstall this tool by deleting all Filemon files and the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SysInternals in the registry.