Alt+numpad key mapping

Alt+numpad key mapping

NewbieNewbie

Mar 02, 2005#1

The Alt+numeric-pad keying to input characters by their ascii number, eg. for characters not present on the keyboard, does not work in Ultraedit v11.0. It used to work in earlier versions, and does work in most windows applications (except Netscape/Mozilla).

Eg. when trying to key Alt-134 for the letter å (lower case aring) it appears UltraEdit somehow intercepts the Alt-combinations before you are done with the -134, and instead interprets each individual stroke as a command to jump forward and backward around the text.

Is there a way to switch this clowning off, so that Alt-nnn will generate ascii character nnn as it is supposed to ?

Other nifty tricks to input characters not present on the keyboard are welcome too.

Cheers CV

Power UserPower User

Mar 03, 2005#2

Alt-# combinations work for me. Are you sure that you didn't turn off NumLock?

NewbieNewbie

Re: Alt+numpad key mapping _without_ having to use num-lock

Mar 03, 2005#3

Ah, I see. Yes, as a matter of fact it does work if I turn num-lock on. But who would want to do _that_ - yuk :o)

(Honestly - it didn't occur to me that anyone would want to. I suppose someone who does nothing but input numbers all day long might find it useful.)

I have to rephrase my question. Is there a way to make it work without having to turn num-lock on ?

Or are there alternative ways eg. by remapping other key combinations (eg. AltGr-(comma) AltGr-(dot) AltGr-(minus) etc.) to enter special characters.

Turning num-lock on is just not on. I have to be able to use the keypad arrows to navigate in the text, but I also want the ascii-input function with the alt-key.

It might sound like I am asking for too much, but this does seem to be some kind of a default behaviour, since, as I said, most Windows applications, including earlier UltraEdit versions, work the way I want, with the notable exception of Mozilla and UltraEdit 11.0.

Cheers CV

Mar 06, 2005#4

OK, I managed to work around by defining a macro for each of the special characters I need and assigning them to available Ctrl-key combinations.

At least this works for entering text in the document.

It does not work for input in dialogs ie. this solution is no good if I want to do "Save as" and then write a file name with any of these characters in it. But that is not something I want to do terribly often so I guess I can sort of live with that ...

Thanks for your time. CV