UltraEdit version 14 and Windows 7

UltraEdit version 14 and Windows 7

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 12, 2009#1

I am currently using UltraEdit 14.10.1.1001 on Win XP Pro. I am thinking of buying a netbook with Windows 7 Starter. Is version 14 of UltraEdit compatible with Windows 7? I tried searching the forum before posting this, but all the messages I found seemed to refer to version 15. Version 15 has no new features that I need, so I'm happy to stay with version 14, but I do need to know whether I can use it on Windows 7.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 14, 2009#2

With almost complete certainty UE v14.xx is also compatible with Windows 7. I don't have Windows 7 and therefore can try it, but I don't expect big problems. You could only have an installation/registration problem with the shell extension DLL (context menu item in Windows Explorer), especially with a 64-bit Windows 7. And maybe there is also a problem with registration of the DLLs for FTP/Telnet. But UltraEdit v14.xx itself should work without any problem also on Windows 7.

There are surely not many forum members which have already Windows 7, use UE v14.xx instead of latest version, and are looking into the forum on weekend. If you want a definite answer, contact IDM support by email.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 14, 2009#3

Thanks yet again, Mofi, for a very helpful response.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Dec 17, 2009#4

version 14 works fine with Windows 7 32-bit.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 30, 2009#5

One warning about Ultraedit html defaults and the registry: The wrong file association will remove your ability to open embedded links in Office and Outlook 2007.

I have a new Win7 Pro box. Installed a new copy of Office 2007. It is a generic, all defaults accepted installation. Next in was Firefox. Last was the UltraEdit / UltraCompare / UltraSentry. I found I could no longer open embedded links. The error message was:

This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your administrator.

If you do a search, the most common reason for this problem is that Firefox ends up being the default browser for all html links and you have to restore MSIE as the default. Should this not work, you will have to edit the registry and correct it. Google's Chrome browser also causes the problem. You can find instructions for a fix at:

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm

Went through the procedures and they didn't work and had to edit the registry. Note: please back up your registry first. Went to the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html and .htm (.shtml if that key exists)

Change the default value - mine was UltraEdit - to htmlfile in all 1-3 keys and save the changes. You should be immediately able to click the links.

The gotcha here was the opening screen of UltraEdit, which by default selects it as the default editor for literally everything. I accepted the defaults (yes, it was dumb) and Win7 updated the registry. So be careful the first time you fire up UltraEdit in Win7, it may eliminate your ability to open links in Office 2007 documents and e-mails.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 30, 2009#6

Yes, you should always look carefully on a dialog before pressing button OK. But file association changes made by UltraEdit can be restored also with UltraEdit. There is no need to edit the registry with Regedit to restore the previous file association. Just open in UltraEdit in menu Advanced the Configuration dialog, navigate to File Associations, select the file association you want to restore and press the button Delete. Of course restoring a file association works only when done with UltraEdit and not when you associate a file for being opened with UltraEdit with the Windows Explorer. And changing file associations with the configuration dialog of UltraEdit can be done only with administrator privileges because write access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes respectively HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is required to modify the file associations.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria