How to update the menus and toolbars?

How to update the menus and toolbars?

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 21, 2007#1

I'm running the latest UEStudio 6.30 - What does this mean in terms of which UEdit version I have?
    None of the new features seem to be available.

MasterMaster

Jun 22, 2007#2

Maybe your profile wasn't updated correctly so the new menu entries/toolbar buttons etc. don't show. Have you tried resetting the menus/toolbars (Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Management - Manage Toolbars and Manage Menus)?

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 27, 2007#3

I never update the menus because it completely screws with what I've customized.

What I'm looking for is the new feature where you can paste HTML...

MasterMaster

Jun 28, 2007#4

Ah well, if you don't update the menus, of course you don't see the new features. But you can add them manually (options - Toolbars/Menus).

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 28, 2007#5

If you have customized the menu and toolbars, you should not name it "Advanced". UltraEdit/UEStudio has 2 standard menu/toolbar profiles: Advanced and Basic. Only these 2 profiles were updated. Other customized profiles will be never automatically updated.

So do following:
            • Click with right mouse button on the menu and select Manage Menu Configurations.
            • I guess, you have customized the Advanced menu. So select in the dialog Advanced, enter a new name, for example Personal and click on the button Save As.
            • When you now click again with right mouse button on the menu, you will see that your customized "Personal" menu profile is selected and "Advanced" and "Basic" are also available to switch to. Click again on Manage Menu Configurations to open the dialog.
            • Select again Advanced and press the button Reset to update the standard Advanced menu profile to latest version.
            • Select Basic and press again button Reset.
            • Close the dialog with button Close.
            • When the menu has changed after closing the dialog, click right mouse button again on the menu and select your customized menu profile named "Personal".
            Do exactly the same on the toolbar. Best give your customized toolbar profile the same name as for the menu profile.

After this procedure you will have 3 new files in the directory of uedit32.ini with name Personal.mfg, Personal.pfg and Personal.tfg which contains now your customized menu and toolbar configurations.

In future you can always update the menu and toolbar profiles without making a backup when UE/UES asks you after an upate because UE/UES only updates the Advanced and Basic profiles. You then can easily switch with right mouse click temporarily to updated Advanced menu or toolbar to see the new features and test it. After switching back to your personal menu/toolbar you can add now those new commands which are for interest of you.

That's the method I use since v11 to handle my customized toolbars. I have more than 1 customized toolbar profile. I rarely use the menus, so I use always the standard Advanced menu and have not created a customized menu.

Note: The toolbar configuration file can contain more than 1 toolbar like the Advanced.tfg. When a toolbar profile file contains more than 1 toolbar, you can easily enable/disable with right mouse click on the toolbar or via View - Views/Lists - Toolbars individual toolbars inside the profile.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 28, 2007#6

Hey Mofi,
              That's just grand! Wonderful tip!
              Marc

NewbieNewbie

Jan 06, 2010#7

Hi,

can i still use these steps, when i update UE from a previous version to 15.20.x ?

Thanks for information.

Egge

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 06, 2010#8

Hi Egge!

Yes, you can. The only difference is that now there are the menus/toolbars Notepad Replacement, Power User, Programmer, System Administrator, Technical Writer, Web Developer and your current profile from a previous installation. There is also still an Advanced menu and toolbar, but Basic is not available anymore because replaced by Notepad Replacement.

But instead of using the Manage Toolbars and Manage Menus buttons in the configuration dialog, it is better to work with View - Environments. If you have a customized menu or toolbar from a previous installation, you best save your configuration as a new environment. In the environments dialog you can also reset the built-in environments.

See also the topics:

Open specific file in a different environment
                  Templates lost after upgrade from v14.x to v15.00
                  How to transfer a custom toolbar to a different environment?
                  How to transfer / copy / move configuration settings to a new PC?
                  Assign environment to project for being automatically loaded with project

NewbieNewbie

Jan 07, 2010#9

Hi Mofi,

thanks for you answer.

After i install the new version, select the option "No" when the message "Confirm Menu/Toolbar-Update" appears, save the the customized profiles/environments to a new name and reset the default menu/toolbar-profiles/environments, so the default menu/toolbar-profiles will be updated to the new version. Is this right?

Egge

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 08, 2010#10

eggebert wrote:Is this right?
                      Yes, absolutely! But you don't need to have fear that the update of the menu/toolbar profile files respectively environments after an upgrade modifies your current (= customized) profiles/environment when you have not customized one of the standard environments. Only the standard environment files are updated. And the dialog offers to backup all files being updated and this backup option is by default enabled.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 10, 2010#11

Hi Mofi,

I try to update different older versions to V15.x

When I install for a test the version V12.10b the following files appears in the %appdata% folder:
                        Advanced.pfg
                        Basis.pfg
                        Basis.mfg
                        Basis.tfg
                        Fortgeschritten.mfg
                        Fortgeschritten.tfg
                        project.lst
                        uedit32.ini
                        uedit32.mnu
                        uedit32.tbr
                        uedit32v11.cfg
                        uedit32.pmu

On the menu I see the two options "Fortgeschritten" and "Basis". When I choose one option the menu will change, but the option is not marked. When I update this version to V15.x and choose one of these two options an error appears like "Unknown Error". Could I be right that something is wrong with the test installation, because of the different filenames "Advanced/Fortgeschritten" in the profile folder?

One more question....do you know at which version the feature "environments" was available?

Thanks.

Egge

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 11, 2010#12

The environments feature is available since version 14.00. Basis is the German name for Basic and Fortgeschritten is the German name for Advanced. Of course the popup menu profile file (*.pfg) should have the same name as the menu (*.mfg) and toolbar profile file (*.tfg). It looks like there is a mistake in UE v12.10b that the popup menu profile file in the German version has the name Advanced.pfg instead of Fortgeschritten.pfg. I have never used the German version and therefore don't know what happens on upgrade with such not consistent setups. My personal setup (English) was and is still not a standard setup. I used and still use the Advanced menu and popup menu profiles, but have used and still use a customized toolbar profile named Personal. On the various upgrades UltraEdit always updated everything as I wanted. The Advanced menu and popup menu profiles have been updated, but my customized toolbar profile was never updated. The other standard profiles/environments were updated/created on first start after the installation of the new version and confirming that UltraEdit should update the menu/toolbar profile files. I have had never an error message.