Hide Lines starting with a Hash #

Hide Lines starting with a Hash #

Nov 30, 2006#1

Hello Everybody!

We are currently evaluating UE and are now "playing arround" with it.

Right now I have loaded a config File with about 3000 Lines. Now i would like to "filter" out all Lines that start hash #

Example:

Original File:

# text1
    # text2
    text3
    # text4

Result after "filtering"

text3

I hope you can help me.

Thanks in Advance!

Bernd

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 30, 2006#2

Hide or delete the lines starting with #?

Hiding a single line is not possible, only blocks with at least 3 lines. And it's not possible with the code folding engine to hide line comment lines. Block comments are suggested for code folding. However, a consecutive number of line comments could be hide with a macro.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Nov 30, 2006#3

so, there is no possibility to hide or filter out lines with a ceratin content, hmm.
        I didn't expect that.

Anyhow, thanks for your help. Looks like we need to watch out for a different Product.

Bernd

MasterMaster

Nov 30, 2006#4

No. Or better: It depends if you can live with that:

Do a perl-regexp-style search and mark "list lines containing search string".
          Then you can copy the result (the non-# lines) to clipboard and work with the result.
          search: ^(^(\s)*#)

Explanation: NOT (Line-start + maybe some spaces + # sign).

Disadvantage: You can't work on the filtered result and "unfilter" it again.
          Its a one-way street.

Code: Select all

# text1
            # text2
          text3 # gfrhgr
          # text4

Code: Select all

text3 # gfrhgr

rds Bego
          Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Nov 30, 2006#5

The Thing is, we would like to deploy it on up to 50 or more Machines. This feature was a basic requirement for the Tool. As UE doesn't have it "out of the Box" it's no option anymore.

Regards,

Bernd

Dec 01, 2006#6

Hi Again!

I haven't found any Text Editor on the web that is able to filter out lines. I can't believe that. How difficult is it to integrat that in UE? Maybe they plan to integrate a feature like that...

Regards

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 01, 2006#7

I guess, it is extremly difficult. It's relatively easy for a browser to hide lines because the file is only viewed by the user and not edited. It's also relatively easy to hide extra information in documents/files which are designed to contain many hidden data like Word docs or pdf. But it is extremly difficult to hide lines from a text file where no hidden data information can be stored in the file itself. Problems while editing will also occur with line numbering, cursor movements, search functions, copy, cut and paste large areas with not displayed text data, ...

A simple solution for hiding the text itself, but not the lines, is to specify the lines starting with # as line comment in the wordfile and select as text color the color of the background. This will not look beautiful because many "empty" lines could exist, but it's maybe helpful for you.

I think the main reason why it is not possible to hide single lines in a text editor is because nobody (except you of course) seems to need this. Users which use text files use text files because nothing is hidden in a text file.

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 14, 2007#8

I wonder if he really meant filter, not delete.......

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 02, 2010#9

Filtering lines is possible with UltraEdit v16.00 or later, see power tip Hide, Show, and Delete Found Lines in UltraEdit/UEStudio.