Background color for complete php sections

Background color for complete php sections

NewbieNewbie

Apr 28, 2005#1

I want to set a default background-color for a complete php section (like macromedia homesite can do). In the hightlight settings I can only set background colors for comments, strings etc, but this will not include whitespaces or tabs.

Homesite Screenshot

NewbieNewbie

Oct 27, 2005#2

That is simply done:

Go to Extras -> Options -> Syntax Highlighting and choose you language which shall get another background color. Unmark the checkbox "Automatic background color" and choose another background color than the default white one.

Do this for PHP and JavaScript and that's it.

Bye,
      Asi

NewbieNewbie

Aug 15, 2006#3

I can't seem to figure this out. I want HTML sections in my PHP scripts to have a different background (light grey instead of white). However, if I do what you suggested above and change the background color for HTML, I get this:

As you can see, this is not the desired result. Instead of changing the background of the HTML part, it changes the background of the whole document except for the "cells" that contain PHP code.

If I go the other way and change the background color for PHP, I get this:

It's as if all whitespace in a PHP document is intepreted as HTML. What I want is to have the two lines of HTML in the above images to have the grey background. Everything should have a white background.

Any suggestions on how to work this out?

Cheers,
        Rickard

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 16, 2006#4

Unfortunately I have no good news for you. What you want is currently (v12.10a) not possible.

A file with the extension PHP is a HTML file with PHP code inside and not a PHP file with HTML code inside. This is an important difference. Files with the extension PHP are associated with /L3"HTML" in the wordfile. So the text background color of the HTML language is used for the whole window.

It will also not help to remove the PHP extension from /L3"HTML" and add it at /L8"PHP" in the wordfile. That would give you the white background color, but you loose the multi-language syntax highlighting support and so the HTML code is not highlighted anymore.

What would help in your situation is when UltraEdit again highlights the entire line from left to right window edge with the same background color - see BG color for entire line. Write also a feature request email to IDM support.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 03, 2010#5

Hello,

I have three problems:
            - how do you open a *.php file with PHP file highlighting and an *.htm* file with HTML highlighting?
            - how can you make the file highlighting look like the attached picture?
            - and one that is not highlighting related - what command do you need to map to set focus to Search Box in the Search Toolbar?

Thanks
            uestudio.png (16.98KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 06, 2010#6

By default all file extensions normally used for HTML files with other languages inside are associated to the HTML language in wordfile html.uew. So it does not make a difference if the file has extension HTM, HTML or PHP (in any case on Windows).

I'm working always with the same background color for all languages, but I completely understand your intention. As a user like you I do not understand why you don't get your example displayed as your third image shows when using the appropriate background color settings. UEStudio and also UltraEdit do not highlight blank lines in a PHP section and lines containing only language PHP not completely with the normal text background color of PHP as you demonstrated. In my point of view this is an issue which should be improved by the developers of IDM. I suggest to contact IDM support by email and request an enhancement on this issue.

I have answered your last question at topic Is there hotkey of UE to switch focus to the "search box". There is nothing to add. There is still no command to set focus into the search box. I suggest to use Ctrl+F.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria