How to turn off / disable auto complete completely in UltraEdit / UEStudio?

How to turn off / disable auto complete completely in UltraEdit / UEStudio?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 08, 2006#1

It seems like this has to have been brought up by someone else, but I was not able to find anything via a search.

When typing, autocomplete will frequently find words from the document and pop up a box of suggestions. That's fine, but it's usually faster for me to keep typing the word than it is to select the word from the pop-up.

The problem is that it doesn't recognize the end of the word. If the next character I type is a tab or CR, it will be consumed, forcing me to go back and edit the text to add in the missing chracter.

Right now I'm typing a list of web addresses, each ending in .com. For every line, I hit return at the end and start typing the next line only to see it stay on the previous line as UE determined that my return was confirmation of the .com word. I looked in options and don't see how to turn this feature off. It's so infuriating that I might need to go back to Notepad.

I've used UltraEdit since version 2.0, and this 'feature' is driving me away.

The autocomplete is great, but it should go away when the user types the entire word manually and not consume the following tab or CR.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 16, 2006#2

To completely turn off the auto completion dialog in UEStudio you have to do following in Advanced - Configuration:
      • uncheck Editor - Auto-complete - Show auto-complete dialog automatically (UltraEdit only since UES v11.10).
      • uncheck IDE - IntelliTips - Auto-complete - Show Symbol List automatically (UEStudio only).
      • uncheck IDE - IntelliTips - Function Tips - Show Automatically (UEStudio only).
      • enter at IDE - IntelliTips - Quick Tips - Scan back  x  chars the value 0 (UEStudio only).
      The help of UEStudio contains details for all those settings.

The first one is the only auto-completion setting existing also in UltraEdit. All other IntelliTips related features exist only in UEStudio.

Other features working similar to auto-completion feature:
      • Templates - Auto-suggest smart template when typing of smart templates feature introduced with UES v12.00 and UE v18.00.
      • Editor - XML/HTML - Automatically close XML/HTML tags which is a special HTML, XHTML, XML auto-complete feature also introduced with UES v12.00 and UE v18.00.

Re: How to turn off /disable auto complete completely in UltraEdit / UEStudio?

Jan 03, 2007#3

Thanks for the tips, the auto-complete problem was driving me nuts also. I was finding that often when I hit return the wrong word was put down and I had to go back and fix it. The constant flashing of the suggestion boxes while I was typing was also fairly distracting. When I looked for an auto-complete "off" box I could not find one, and after not finding what I needed in the help files that's what brought me here.

Maybe the values for these settings were set to search too far back, or something like that. I also think that the auto-complete being activated on ENTER being turned on by default might have been a mistake. Often there is no space or other character to tell the program not to use auto-complete before the ENTER key is hit.

I found changing this program setting to be the important one:

enter at IDE - IntelliTips - Quick Tips - Scan back x chars the value 0.

This effectively turns the IntelliTips auto-complete off, which is what I was looking for. I also unchecked the box for ENTER activating the auto-complete.

Thanks for the tips!

Chuck

NewbieNewbie

Jan 05, 2007#4

Good grief. I had done the three unchecks, but would never have guessed the "scan back char" to 0 was needed. Quite why the unchecks are not enough seems like something that needs investigating.

Thanks for the tip.

Mar 31, 2010#5

This is still an issue with UEStudio 9.30.0.1003 in March of 2010.

I've been getting really ticked at this "feature" off-and-on for years, but finally found this post and disabled the correct setting by changing IDE -> IntelliTips -> Quick Tips -> Scan back to "0" chars. This really needs to be turned off by default, or at least made easier to find. Put it on a "Did you know?" list or a "Cool features" list, but anything that automatically changes what I'm trying to type -- forcing me to constantly re-read and correct what I just typed -- is a bad feature to have enabled by default.