Not found search string of a replace exits macro with UE 16.00.0.1038, fixed with 16.00.0.1040

Not found search string of a replace exits macro with UE 16.00.0.1038, fixed with 16.00.0.1040

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 19, 2010#1

I just got confirmation from UE Support that some macros I've been running for years have stopped working after updating UE with the latest hotfix 16.00.0.1038. If you notice such behaviour I suggest reporting it to UE support so they can investigate + hopefully resolve it asap.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 19, 2010#2

I have much experience with macros and compatibility issues. Could you explain more detailed what the problem is?

With which version of UltraEdit were the macros created (= last saved)?

Can you load the macros or does already loading the macro files fail?

If loading the macro files work and just the result is different than before, can you post the macro code and explain what fails?
      It is possible that your macros used a bug of UltraEdit and after fixing the bug the macro does not produce the same output as before.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 20, 2010#3

Its not one macro but many macros that have been running successfully for years (and note the UE Support confirmed my findings). Some macros I made in UE version 5(?) for example (and slightly modified over the years) stop working in the "middle" of the macro and it would be too much work to "fix" them all (I have many macros, and many call submacros). I'm it sure would work if I "rewrote" or "recorded" them from scratch. The fault is not with the macro but with UE 16.00.0.1038. It seems to have to do with IF statements and repetitive Find/Replace actions.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 21, 2010#4

I have what I think is the same problem with my macros no longer working properly. If a macro has a Find-and-Replace that does not find any matches, the macro just stops at that point. Previously, the macro would continue even if no matches were found. I reported this to tech support, and they confirmed it, so hopefully this will get fixed.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 28, 2010#5

The bug introduced with 16.00.0.1038 seems to have been fixed with UE Hotfix 16.00.0.1040 as the macros seem to work as they should at the moment.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 01, 2010#6

To evaluate which versions of UltraEdit are affected by this bug I created a test macro and executed it on different builds of UE v16.00. The test macro has property Continue if search string not found enabled. The code for the test macro was

InsertMode
              ColumnModeOff
              HexOff
              UltraEditReOn
              NewFile
              "Test 1
              "
              Find "Not Existing"
              Replace All "???"
              "Not Found 1 - "
              Find "Not Found 1 - Test 1"
              Replace All "Test 1 passed!^pTest 2"
              Key DOWN ARROW
              Find "Not Existing"
              Replace "???"
              "Not Found 2 - "
              Key HOME
              Find "Not Found 2 - Test 2"
              Replace "Test 2 passed!"

The macro produced the correct result

Test 1 passed!
              Test 2 passed!

for following versions of UE 16.00:

v16.00.0.1025
              v16.00.0.1029
              v16.00.0.1032
              v16.00.0.1040

The only UltraEdit version producing wrong result because of macro exit after first Replace All is v16.00.0.1038, and perhaps also build 1036 and build 1037 published a few hours before build 1038 which I did not have anymore for testing.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria