Classic Theme/Skin

Classic Theme/Skin

NewbieNewbie

Feb 01, 2010#1

Hi all,

I wonder if there is an option to make UltraEdit v15.20 looks like old classic versions ( classic GUI ) , especially the toolbars !!!!

PS : if there is no option to switch back to the classic style, is there a way to hack UE resource to delete Toolbars background images ?!

Thanks in advance !!!

NewbieNewbie

Feb 01, 2010#2

I'd like this too. All of the other software I use is configured that way. Could we have an option please?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 10, 2010#3

I'd also respectfully ask for the ability to return the Layout of "Open Files" and "File View" etc Panels to return to old v14 and prior style, or allow to hide the description and standard manipulation icons bar be hidden.
        This saves a lot of screen space on low resolutions e.g. for visually impaired people.
        Returning the Toolbar background to the old style helps visibility, too.

I hope to see this in a future version update, thank you for your continued development efforts!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 11, 2010#4

See How to configure the appearance of the open file tabs bar in UE v15.00 and later?

The shading effect of the symbols in menu and toolbar can't be disabled, at least I can't find such an option. Since UE v15.00 UltraEdit uses GDIPlus which is required for the auto-hide feature of the views and other features and is working better with Windows Vista and Windows 7. I think, IDM will not implement old MFC GUI additionally.

I use Windows XP with Windows Classic theme and all visual effects disabled for best performance including disabling the title bar shading (= GUI of Windows 95). But the shading effect of the symbols does not really bother me and other state of the art applications like Opera 10.51 use the same shading also for the Windows Classic scheme.

However, I use a very minimalized GUI to have as much space as possible for the documents. The views are by default all disabled and I use hotkeys to enable/disable a view when needed. Although I use it very rarely, I have a customized toolbar at top of the UltraEdit window. In UEStudio (= working with projects) I use multiple toolbars. You can increase the height for the document windows when you arrange the toolbars vertically on left or right side instead of horizontal arrangement on top or bottom. Last but not least there is also the full screen mode.
          UltraEdit_Screenshot.png (28.85KiB)
          Screenshot of my standard window UE v16.00.0.1032.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 02, 2010#5

As far as I can see UltraEdit uses the toolkit "BCGControlBar Library Professional Edition" from BCGSoft. This library provides a lot of UI features like, toolbars, docking windows, menus and much more. A part of this library is available also in Visual Studio 2008 (Feature Pack). I know it very well because I use it in my company, too.

This library provides rich skinning functions but all of them seem to be disabled in UltraEdit. It seems that UE is currently running with slightly modified VisualStudio 2005 theme which is only enabled for toolbars and docking windows. In the menu it is disabled which gives an inconsistent look on Windows Vista and Windows 7.

I've no idea why all skinning features are disabled in UE. In fact enabling skinning can be done with few lines of code but maybe the UE team wanted a consistent look for the application.

However, I would appreciate very much if the menus were using theming from the BCG library and of course if the function to manually choose the UI skin would be made available. Maybe this could be done in next major UE release...

MasterMaster

May 03, 2010#6

goetti wrote:As far as I can see UltraEdit uses the toolkit "BCGControlBar Library Professional Edition" from BCGSoft. This library provides a lot of UI features like, toolbars, docking windows, menus and much more. A part of this library is available also in Visual Studio 2008 (Feature Pack). I know it very well because I use it in my company, too.
              However, I would appreciate very much if the menus were using theming from the BCG library and of course if the function to manually choose the UI skin would be made available. Maybe this could be done in next major UE release...
              I must agree. I would love the ability to choose the UI skin, and the ability to make skins. This is definitely a feature request, and as IDM doesn't regularly monitor these forums, we need to both send the request to [email protected]. The more people that request it, the more likely it will be implemented in the future.