How to save all open files (like a "bookmark all") type thing?

How to save all open files (like a "bookmark all") type thing?

NewbieNewbie

May 16, 2010#1

Let's say I have 30 open files in the UE editor. Then I want to close UE, but be able to select form a menu next time I use UE, the list of files and have them all open up again, including any that were opened from FTP. Basically the same as a "Bookmark all open tabs" in Firefox option, but rather than opened urls, it would be saving all open files.

UE can re-open all opened files automatically including ftp opened files on program re-load, but too many times have I depended on this feature (including a few minutes ago) :evil: , and then some installation file automatically opens an associated file and UE opens just that and there went all of my opened files, which I often keep opened as reminders of work to do. Or I may even accidentally open a single txt file and the same result happens. I want to be able to manually save and open my lists of files from now on. I've gone through the hundreds of options, and wasn't able to really spot anything. Is this possible?

Thanks
    GeekDrop.com
    Help Community set in a Geeky Fashion ;)
    Stop By Sometime!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 16, 2010#2

So you have checked the configuration settings Reload files previously open on startup and Reload FTP files when reloading a project or last open files at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Load.

What you miss is the configuration setting Open from Explorer also loads file list at File Handling - Advanced. Enabling also this configuration setting prevents loading only the file(s) specified as parameter(s) on command line on start of UltraEdit as done when opening a file via the file associations stored in the registry.

But there is also a second method to get what you want.

Let setting Open from Explorer also loads file list unchecked and uncheck the configuration setting Close all files when opening or switching projects at File Handling - Miscellaneous.

After closing the configuration dialog click on Project - New Project/Workspace. Select a location for the project file, for example %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit, enter a name for the project and continue with the creation process. You don't need to add any file to the project because you use the project feature just as a workspace saving feature. For projects versus workspaces see my post at Why save files to a Project? If you cannot see the Project menu in the menu bar, enable configuration setting Project menu on main menu at Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous, close the configuration dialog with button OK, close UltraEdit and restart it.

Now you have all your opened files, your bookmarks, your code foldings, etc. stored in the workspace file on exit of UltraEdit (instead of uedit32.ini) and the workspace file with all that information is reloaded on next start of UltraEdit, except when UltraEdit is started with file name(s) on command line to display/edit just this(these) file(s). When you now want to reload the opened files as you last time closed UltraEdit, you only have to click on your workspace file in the project history at bottom of the Project menu.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 17, 2010#3

Thank you Mofi, for the explanations.

You were correct, I did have the reload options checked, but missed the "Open from explorer .." option. I will try both methods and see which I prefer over time. :)

If any UE Dev's stumble across this post, might I suggest adding short tooltips to each option in the configuration? Part of the reason I think configuring UE just right comes from not really knowing what each option does just by the label, and referring to the help file for each and every one can be a bit of a burden. A short, descriptive tooltip on each option, with the ability to use the help file as a more in-depth reference, would be ideal.

Also, rather than this kind of weird workaround, a "bookmark all open files" option like I suggested might be a more intuitive method for "Joe UE User". :)

Just my 2 cents!
        GeekDrop.com
        Help Community set in a Geeky Fashion ;)
        Stop By Sometime!