NewbieNewbie

Mar 25, 2010#16

This is my single biggest complaint about UE right now. I get jealous of my coworkers who use Notepad++ for this feature alone.

I'll stick with UE because of its overall versatility. However, I keep hoping that the next version will have this long awaited feature.

MasterMaster

May 10, 2010#17

Hang on to your hats, folks, this feature is finally coming!

I'm doing testing on the new UltraEdit v16.10, and it now has this feature! It's awesome, and works just like it should. This feature requires an enabled and configured code folding and can be controlled by View - Show Fold Lines.

Now UE v16.10 was released, and we finally be able to say, "Ha! Take that, Notepad++ users!"

Needless to say, I am quite happy about the inclusion of this feature. :mrgreen:
      “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

MasterMaster

May 11, 2010#18

srparvath wrote:The only feature I think we miss in Ultraedit is display of vertical lines for tabs if necessary as seen in Notepad++.

Check this image to see what I am talking about

While I agree with others in this thread that indent guidelines would be useful, I must point out that the screenshot above does not provide an indent guideline for the outer if block. I use smaller indents in my source code, so I wonder if indent guidelines would end up cluttering my display unnecessarily. Perhaps showing the indent guideline when a user clicks on an open or close brace would be a nice compromise... that way a user can make one appear when it would be helpful, but not have them there at every indent level all the time.

MasterMaster

May 11, 2010#19

bulgrien wrote:While I agree with others in this thread that indent guidelines would be useful, I must point out that the screenshot above does not provide an indent guideline for the outer if block. I use smaller indents in my source code, so I wonder if indent guidelines would end up cluttering my display unnecessarily. Perhaps showing the indent guideline when a user clicks on an open or close brace would be a nice compromise... that way a user can make one appear when it would be helpful, but not have them there at every indent level all the time.
          Well, the feature is already implemented in this next release, so it would be doubtful that they would make this change up front. You might consider sending in a feature request to make that a configurable option. "On all the time" or "On only for the indent area the cursor is currently residing in." Right now it's "on or off" only. Using an "open or close brace" click would be difficult to implement, since not all languages fold/indent using a brace (the language I give in my screenshot below, for example, which is Object Pascal.)

I, personally, want the indents there all the time. I have altered the color to be more subdued to where they don't stand out loudly, but are there when I need them.

I use an indent level of "2 spaces". The guidelines work beautifully with that indent level, at least for me.  

Here is a clip of a screenshot I took. I don't give the whole application window, because this is all you need to see it, and I try to respect the bandwidth of dial-up users, as there are still many in this world. Pardon my "green Matrix" look, but it's easy on my eyes for long hours of work. I've learned that multiple colors distract, so I use "shades" of one color for syntax highlighting.
          “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 31, 2010#20

I just want to add that with configuration setting Enable auto-brace matching turned on, the fold line of the brace pair currently highlighted is highlighted with the new text color for Brace Highlight instead of the color for Fold Lines as an additional visual help for languages like C/C++, C#, Javascript, ...

The guidelines are not displayed independent of state of View - Show Fold Lines when the configuration setting Draw graphical lines at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Code Folding is not enabled which also controls the graphical lines in the code folding gutter. And don't forget to set the color for Fold Lines in View - Set Colors different to background color. Of course a syntax highlighting wordfile with fold strings definitions must be available for the current file and syntax highlighting must be enabled.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Read more posts (-10 remaining)