Cannot type "*" on Czech keyboard (AltGr + "/")

Cannot type "*" on Czech keyboard (AltGr + "/")

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 07, 2010#1

Hello I use UE 16.00.0.1032 in Windows 7, 64 bit and I want to write with the Czech keyboard layout. The Czech keyboard distinguishes Alt from AltGr and has a plenty of special characters mapped to AltGr shifted keys. That is also the case with "*" which is written AltGr+"/" ("/" is the key next to the right Shift, on US keyboard this is "/")

The Czech keyboard layout behaves normally in whole Windows, but not in UE. I don't know why. Almost everything of the Czech keyboard layout works in UE, except for the AltGr + "/" for typing "*". I am pretty sure it worked some time before. Maybe I assigned a macro or any other shortcut to that key combination, I don't know anymore. But now I cannot type "*" with that layout. Not in the edit window and not in dialogue windows e.g. as part of a RegEx in the Search/Replace window.

Any suggestions how to correct this? How can I find if I ever assigned something to AltGr+"/"? At the moment that's the only reason I can think of as the cause of my problem.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 08, 2010#2

First I suggest to open the key mapping configuration dialog, select any command and type the key combination making problems in the field for pressing a new key. You should see below if a command is assigned to this key code. Cancel the configuration dialog if this is not the case.

Further it is possible that a macro has this hotkey. Just open View - Views/Lists - Macro List and look on the macros. You see here which macro has a hotkey (depending on your version of UltraEdit).

For script hotkeys look on Scripting - Script List.

If no command, macro or script is assigned to this key which I suppose because it is also not working in the find/replace dialog, it could be that you have installed multiple keyboard layouts and switched by mistake the keyboard layout for UltraEdit from Czech to any other language using the hotkey of Windows to quickly change the keyboard layout. This is a per application setting of Windows. If you can see on the Windows taskbar left the system tray CS (DE for German, EN for English US), and this 2 character language code changes when you open UltraEdit, you have selected a different keyboard layout for UltraEdit. Double click with left mouse button on the language code in the Windows taskbar to open the Windows keyboard configuration dialog and change it back and uninstall not needed keyboard layouts. If you need only one layout, delete all other and the Windows hotkey for switching the keyboard layout will become automatically inactive.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 09, 2010#3

I did what you suggested. Keymapping says there is nothing assigned to it, and no marcro nor script is assigned to this combination.

I use three different keyboard layouts: CS, DE, EN. Czech is the default, and I can assure you that in UE Window the Czech keyboard selected. I can type other special characters with it in UE, e.g. the letters with diacritics assigned to the number row, and also other keys behave as they should on that layout, but not the combination for "*".

In any other Program, e.g. here in the browser, as I type this answer, the AltGr+"/" types "*", exactly as it should. Any other ideas why this does not work in UE?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 09, 2010#4

I have exact same problem with Estonian keyboard. I can type all characters but I cannot get "\" character (altgr +). All other characters are working correctly. Right now I have been using ASCII code (ALT 92) to get the "\" mark but I think this is not normal.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 10, 2010#5

I added to my Windows XP today the Czech keyboard and while UltraEdit v16.00.0.1032 was running I switched to the Czech keyboard. Indeed pressing AltGr plus the key left the right SHIFT key (= Alt + Ctrl + -) has no effect in UltraEdit while it worked with MS Word 2007 and with my browser and results in inserting character * (asterisk). So I assigned in UltraEdit Alt + Ctrl + - to command FileNew, closed the configuration dialog with button OK and pressed AltGr + - (German keyboard). No action, no new file opened. Very strange. The key code is accepted in the key mapping configuration dialog, but when executing it, nothing happens.

Because Zababa has written that it worked some time before I tried it with some archived versions of UltraEdit. I detected that pressing Alt + Ctrl + - results in inserting character * with UltraEdit v15.00.0.1047 and previous versions when using the Czech keyboard layout. But with UltraEdit v15.10.0.1031 and any later, Alt + Ctrl + - has no effect in UltraEdit.

Conclusion: Since UE v15.10 key code Alt + Ctrl + - can't be used anymore in UltraEdit. Please report that by email to IDM support. That is a problem which must be analyzed by the developers of IDM.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 10, 2010#6

Thank you Mofi for your insight. I have reported this to the IDM team and hope that they will fix it soon.

Jun 03, 2010#7

Guys, I do not want to disappoint you, but I have been reported this issue (Hungarian keyboard, but exactly the same issue) in October 2009, but there is still no fix from IDM. Actually no any news about this issue. :cry:
                But I am happy to see that I am not alone. Maybe only the mass is missing to press the IDM guys to fix what they messed up. :x

Until that: If the edit window in not maximized, AltGr + "/" works.

György

Jun 04, 2010#8

I have a great news! Got a mail yesterday from one of the developers, Jan Sloboda!
                  ... your AltGr+/ will work in upcoming release (it's already fixed). Problem with Czech and Hungarian keyboard is that this keypress "simulates" alt+- what is window shortcut to show window menu for MDI frame what in new MDI mode (with built-in tabs) will make app unresponsive, so it was handled inside the app.
                  Thank you Jan!

Jun 15, 2010#9

Hurray! Fixed in latest version, v16.10.0.1028! :D