Pull down menu font size problem (fixed)

Pull down menu font size problem (fixed)

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 12, 2010#1

Is there any way to have the fonts on the pull down menu items match the fonts on the menu bar?

I have bad eyes, and I set things like menus for Arial bold 9 point, for instance. My pull down menus are seeming like they are about 7 point or so.

Can these be enlarged?

Look at the difference between the menu bar and the menu itself on the UltraEdit menu screenshot.

As the UltraCompare screenshot shows, in UltraCompare that doesn't happen, so it can't be a Windows thing, can it?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    UltraEdit_Menu.png (73.28KiB)
    Menu of UltraEdit with larger font size in main bar, but still small font size in the pull down menus
    UltraCompare_Menu.png (50.71KiB)
    Menu of UltraCompare with larger font size

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 13, 2010#2

Okay, you are just talking about the menus. It is interesting that on your computer just the menu items of the main menu use the large font.

I'm using UltraEdit v16.10.0.1027 on Windows XP Prof. with SP3 with Windows Classic theme (not XP style) with all visual effects disabled for best performance and Office 2007 + all security hotfixes of Microsoft installed. Office 2007 installed the GDIPlus DLLs used also by UltraEdit. Additionally I have disabled the ClearType feature. Therefore UltraEdit uses for the menus, list boxes in the toolbars and the status bar the font Tahoma with size 8 pt as set in the Windows theme. With ClearType enabled the GDIPlus normally ignores the defined font in the Windows theme and use the ClearType font Segoe UI installed with Office 2007 and also used by Office 2007 independent of my Windows theme settings. Unfortunately UltraCompare uses font Segoe UI, too. I'm still waiting on the same fix for UC Prof. as IDM has done for UltraEdit on v15.20.0.1020. For details on the problem with font Segoe UI with ClearType not used see ClearType on UltraEdit 15.

With my Windows display settings I can change the font size for the menus in the Windows display settings and the change is immediately applied after pressing button Apply (or OK) on the menus of UltraEdit as you can see on the attached screenshot as I increased the font size from 8 to 16 pt. Further I could see now that the font used for the Open File Tabs is the same as for the menus.

Because there is no setting in UltraEdit for changing the font size for the menus I suppose that the Windows GDI+ or a Windows display setting is responsible for that different font sizes. I suggest to save the current Windows display theme when not already done and play with all the font size settings. Maybe you can find out if one of them is responsible for the different font sizes in the UltraEdit menus. It may help to select and apply first a standard Windows display theme, and then change the settings to get what you want. I have already read a few times that this solved various display problems. One further note: on my computer when reloading and applying my saved display theme Windows XP always changes the sound theme from my preferred "No Sounds" to the standard Windows sound theme, and I have to select therefore always the sound theme "No Sounds" again after restoring my preferred display theme.
      menu_font_size.png (27.91KiB)
      Menus of UltraEdit with Tahoma 16 pt set in the Windows display settings.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 13, 2010#3

Mofi, I'm not entirely clear on why I don't have the problem in UC but do in UE, but I did understand that it cannot be readily fixed. Oh my...

Regards,
        Chuck

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 14, 2010#4

CWBillow wrote:Mofi, I'm not entirely clear on why I don't have the problem in UC but do in UE, ...
          That's also not clear for me. I have never seen the behavior you see in UltraEdit although I played in the past a lot with the Windows display settings for answering users questions. I searched in the WWW and maybe found the reason for this problem. You may have changed in the Advanced display settings the DPI setting from 96 to 120 to get everything larger displayed. That makes the fonts larger in the start menu and the menu bar, but can result that the font size in the menus itself does not change. I found this statement here in the post from rwilson2. Now after knowing that different menu font sizes can appear when DPI setting is not 96, I found with Google other articles about the same problem using the search terms dpi problem menu "font size".
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 14, 2010#5

Mofi I tried once changing the dpi, but was unhappy with the results, and never have since. I modify my resolution, as I have a wide-screen, to 1280 x 960. I don't use the native res on this monitor (Samsung 226BW) which is 1680 x 1050, because for some reason all the fonts fade out at that resolution. But besides that, I do any and all changes through "Windows Color and Appearance" (Windows 7 machine).

It's just too strange that one program (UC) is fine while UE has this issue.

Regards,
            Chuck Billow

Jul 30, 2010#6

Mofi, thought you might like to know:

I just upgraded to v16.10, and the menu issue is gone -- totally.

I checked just before the upgrade, and the menus were still off, but after, all was fine.

Regards,
              Chuck Billow

Thanks for posting that the problem is fixed with update to v16.10, Mofi.