UE 16 reads only first 50000 bytes of text file - caused by write protected temp directory

UE 16 reads only first 50000 bytes of text file - caused by write protected temp directory

Aug 18, 2010#1

The full UE version number is 16.10.0.1036 -- freshly installed on my new workstation.

Oddly, 1) UE reads the text file correctly if it has a .txt extension, but when I save it back to a .inp extension the 'first 50,000' behavior reappears, and 2) a 'Unix' version of this file (of similar size) with Unix style line terminations is read in its entirety, and displayed correctly in hex format.

Confirmed this 'first 50,000' behavior with several other text files, with both .inp and .log file extensions. File sizes are about 2.5MB, reading from a mapped network drive, using 64-bit Windows 7 on an Intel Xeon platform with 12GB onboard.

Any suggestions?

TIA...
    Brando

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 18, 2010#2

I doubt that the strange issues you report here is caused by UltraEdit. I can open files with several MBs and save them using Save As without any problem and I'm quite sure that all other users execpt you also don't have a problem with large files or files with Unix line endings.

I suggest to copy first your files to local drive and then open them in UltraEdit. Is the entire file opened and saved on local drive? Yes, there is a problem with the network drive.

You have a fresh install of UltraEdit, so your uedit32.ini file containing all user configuration settings should have only default values. Nevertheless I suggest to open directory %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit in Explorer while UltraEdit is not runing and rename file uedit32.ini for example to uedit32_bak.ini and then start UltraEdit which creates a new uedit32.ini with all settings set to default. Does editing large files now work?

Run the installer of UltraEdit via Control Panel of Windows once again and choose option Repair to repair existing installation of UltraEdit. Maybe uedit32.exe is stored partly damaged on your drive.

Possible is also that your new workstation has a defect hardware. You should run the hardware test and diagnostic program of the manufacturer of this computer over night and look if a RAM error or something similar is reported by the diagnostic.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Aug 18, 2010#3

A reinstall with my userid temporarily promoted to domain admin rights cured the problem. The program had previously been installed by the admin using his userid.

Aug 18, 2010#4

Whoops, scratch previous! The reinstall did not cure the problem... but it did give us a useful clue. When I was logged in with Domain Admin rights, no problem. As soon as my rights went back to "mere mortal", the problem returned. So I suspected that the location where UltraEdit was attempting to write the temporary file was inaccessible. Sure enough, a check of environment variables revealed that user envars TEMP and TMP were pointing to C:\Windows\TEMP, a land where mere mortals in this domain are forbidden to tread. Setting TEMP and TMP to %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp cured the problem!

Thanks for your timely assistance, Mofi...
          Brando

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 19, 2010#5

Thanks for posting what caused the problem in case another user runs into the same problem.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria