Separate highlighting within a highlighted area

Separate highlighting within a highlighted area

NewbieNewbie

Oct 24, 2010#1

[UltraEdit v15.20.0.1022 on a Windows 7 64-bit platform]

I have been searching through the various syntax highlighting posts/tutorials/etc. but have come up empty on what I'm trying to do. The short version is: "Is it possible to highlight sections of text within a comment using a different color?"

Basically, when I write code (C & JavaScript) I precede code blocks with (sometimes lengthy) comment sections that describe what I am doing and why. Occasionally, I also document why a particular approach was taken instead of another approach. Important considerations that went into making a particular decision are identified with the keyword "NOTE: ". While this is usually in a paragraph by itself, it is still sometimes easy to overlook. An ideal eye-catcher would be if the bulk of the comment section could be in green (as it currently is) but the word "NOTE:" would stand out in red. Is such a thing possible and, if so, how would I go about it?

Thanks,
    Dave

Power UserPower User

Oct 25, 2010#2

UE supports embedded syntax highlighting for HTML (e.g. Javascript sections) but in general it's not possible. I suggest sending a feature request to IDM. I requested this feature a while back. The more people that request it the more likely it is to make it into a future version.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 25, 2010#3

Thanks for the reply - a feature request has been submitted. I'm a little surprised they don't have something like this already - when an entire comment block is highlighted with a single color it might as well not be highlighted at all.

Dave