Loss of cursor position on mouse wheel scroll, caused by utility KatMouse

Loss of cursor position on mouse wheel scroll, caused by utility KatMouse

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 10, 2010#1

Running Windows XP SP3, UE 16.20.0.1011

Whenever I use my mouse wheel to scroll the cursor position is lost.
    How to recreate:
    1. Start UE.
    2. Open a file.
    3. Click somewhere in the file and notice the blinking cursor (insertion point, or whatever you want to call it).
    4. Use the mouse wheel to scroll up or down a little. Just enough to move a couple lines is good.
    5. Cursor is gone.

This used to not be an issue. Even as recently as v14 or 15.

MasterMaster

Nov 10, 2010#2

I don't think UltraEdit is to blame. This has never been an issue for me even if I use the mouse wheel to scroll the text position all the way off the screen in either direction (see screencast).
      You might consider updating your mouse drivers. Personally, I prefer to trust drivers from Logitech.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 10, 2010#3

Using a Logitech mouse and their drivers. However, you do bring up a good point. I noticed that Logitech has updated their software/drivers so I will be updating mine. Results in a bit...

Ok, updated the Logitech software and drivers. SetPoint 6.15.6 and driver version is 5.10.9.
        And still when I scroll with the mouse wheel the cursor/insertion point in UE just disappears. Hitting the Arrow keys and Page Up/Down keys has no affect at this point. It is as if UE doesn't know where the cursor is, so it does nothing.

I don't have this problem in other editors (Notepad, Word, Wordpad...). Very odd.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 11, 2010#4

In Control Panel - Mouse what is set for a mouse wheel click? I mean which action is configured when you press the mouse wheel?

I think, you do not just roll the mouse wheel, you first click with it and then roll it. The mouse wheels are often very sensitive for clicks, more than the mouse buttons.

However, the only setting UltraEdit offers related to the mouse wheel is Disable mouse wheel zoom at Advanced - Configuration - Editor Display - Miscellaneous.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 11, 2010#5

In the Control Panel the Mouse wheel is set to scroll 1 line per ratchet of the wheel. The Logitech software, SetPoint, also shows this setting in it's configuration. I think they might mirror each other based on another box.

Anyways, with this particular driver/software you can set the mouse wheel to change the way the wheel works. At it's most accomodating you can set the wheel click (pressing down on the wheel) to change the wheel scroll motion from ratcheting to a free spin mode. I've tried both modes and the cursor disappears regardless.

I changed the setting in UE that you mentioned Mofi. Restarted UE just to be sure, but no difference.
            I appreciate the ideas!

Site AdminSite Admin

Nov 11, 2010#6

Hi Pebblecrusher,

This is strange behavior and we have not had other reports of the cursor position disappearing like you described. Can you please zip and send us your entire configuration settings directory:

%APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit

Please zip and send to our tech support.

We will test this further here with your settings and get back to you.

Thank you!

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 11, 2010#7

Done, and thanks. I am willing to uninstall and try an older version just to be sure my memory is good. :D

Nov 12, 2010#8

Figured I would come back and let you know that the problem has been resolved, and how it was resolved. IDM Support was a big help. Kudos to them!

We tried several things, including a full uninstall along with cleaning out the registry, old INI & CFG files, the AppData folder... After a re-install the issue still existed. Then I noticed that when I hit an Arrow key after scrolling with the mouse wheel and losing the cursor, the mouse pointer would move to the upper left corner of the Edit window that has focus.

IDM Support suggested perhaps another program was stealing focus of the cursor. At first the only thing I could think of was the Logitech software & driver. But then I remembered a little utility that I installed called KatMouse. KatMouse is a utility that I found that enables "universal" scrolling. Universal scrolling is the ability to use the mouse wheel to scroll the window beneath the mouse pointer even though the window may not have focus.

Imagine you have UE, Excel and Outlook open in a tiled manner (windows stacked but parts of each visible). UE is the top window and the window is the "active" window (in the developer world this is called having focus :D ). You need to reference something in the Excel window, but don't want to swap windows. You move your mouse pointer so that it is over the Excel window and move the scroll wheel. The Excel spreadsheet that is open moves, not the UE edit window.

Anyways, after some tweaking of KatMouse I was able to fix the issue of my cursor/insertion point from disappearing. :o