File permission altered after overwrite via FTP

File permission altered after overwrite via FTP

NewbieNewbie

Jan 26, 2010#1

Hello,

I am editing scripts on an AIX machine via configured FTP accounts, meaning I open the FTP explorer tree, open a file, edit, then save. Unfortunately, after saving the file permissions (on AIX) are changed. How can I avoid that?

I understand that the (locally) edited file is being "put" onto the AIX machine when saving - is that assumption correct? If so, I do not suspect the FTP server (standard ftpd on AIX) to misbehave because if I do a manual "put" from my PC the file permissions remain the same. I have tried to send a "SITE UMASK 007" when connecting - which didn't make any difference, either.

AHA. TIA.

Regards,
    Nora

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 26, 2010#2

I'm not using the FTP feature of UltraEdit, but checking the option Copy file instead of using rename when creating backup file at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Advanced may help. I don't really know if this setting is also helpful to keep permissions for files loaded/saved via FTP.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 26, 2010#3

This is incredible - you absolutely hit the bull's eye! I checked the mentioned option, and the "save" did not alter my permissions anymore :D

Thank you so much!

Nora

Basic UserBasic User

UltraEdit changes file permissions on C: but not other drives

Nov 25, 2010#4

Whenever I save a file on C:, ultraedit changes the file permissions to 000 rather than 700, according to cygwin. Notepad does not do this.

Windows doesn't care, but in order for cygwin scripts to be able to use those files, I need to manually chmod 700 them as administrator.

Is there a way to prevent UltraEdit from changing file permissions like this?

Thanks!

Edit: Found this thread and the configuration setting is indeed the solution for the permission problem.