Key mappings disappear

Key mappings disappear

NewbieNewbie

Sep 19, 2009#1

UE 15.10, Vista-32. Create a couple of key mappings: ctrl-1, ctrl-s, remove existing bindings. Keys work fine. Fine, I say. Close down UE. Start it up again. No mapping. Oh: ctrl-s does nothing now, where the default, pre-mapping, was file save. Uninstall UE, clear out AppData directory containing all UE data, reinstall, same behavior.

Huh?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 21, 2009#2

Are you using UE Portable or UltraEdit? That UEP does not save the key mappings currently is a known bug. UltraEdit does not have this problem.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 21, 2009#3

Actually I had this happening to me last week (checking now, and one of the mappings has disappeared again >_<). This must've started some weeks ago tho, as I don't use the specific tool often, I didn't notice it earlier. Quite annoying.

This is using 15.10.0.1031.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 23, 2009#4

Alrighty then. Uninstalled UE. Killed the dir with all the uek files. Searched the registry for any (reasonable) entry with UltraEdit in it. Killed 'em dead. (This was a new action by me). Reinstalled. Mappings are back and they stick. Damned computers.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 24, 2009#5

Have you clicked on the button Show key mapping in editor if the hotkey you are missing is not assigned to a macro or script. Hotkeys of macros and scripts are preferred over the hotkeys of the internal commands.

And of course it is possible that a hotkey is associated with a shortcut (*.lnk) and therefore can't be used in UltraEdit. Also there are tools like the hotkey poller of ATI which prevents you when active (= default after video driver installation) to use some key combinations for other programs. If you have multiple keyboards installed (= default for non US countries), there is also a hotkey active to switch to the other language and therefore can't be used in UltraEdit.

So do you mean with disappearing key mapping that you assign a hotkey to a command and this hotkey works, but after closing and restarting UltraEdit this command does not have the key code assigned anymore?

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 25, 2009#6

What I did was assign F2 to AdvancedUserTool2, which turns bold, also, F2 shows up as the hot-key for the command under the Advanced menu. It works through out the session it seems, then it's gone. The previous binding of F2 is not restored tho. I also have a key-binding for AdvancedUserTool1 which is shift-f2, this one sticks and doesn't disappear.

edit: btw, is uedit32.uek the keybindings?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 25, 2009#7

Yes, uedit32.uek contains the key mappings of the commands.

And you are right! Any UltraEdit v15.10.0.xxxx and UES v9.20.0.xxxx does not save new key assignments. Those versions only save which keys are removed. UE v15.00.0.1047 and previous do not have this problem.

I report this by email to IDM for being fixed in UE v15.20 released soon. (Beta 3 of UE v15.20 still does not save new key assignments).

Edit: Well, IDM could not reproduce it with the steps as I have written. And in the meantime I found out why. New key assignments are not saved only in some cases. Here is my email to IDM support with the details when this problem occurs and the possible workarounds.

I found the reason why you could not reproduce it and why only a few users have this problem.

Removing key assignments works always.

But saving new key assignments to internal commands is not working when:

a) Any macro file with macros is loaded.

It does not matter if any macro has a hotkey assigned or all macros are without hotkeys. As long as a macro is loaded, new key assignments to internal commands are not saved.
                Quick workaround: execute "Macro - Delete All" before assigning hotkeys or chords to internal commands in the key mapping configuration dialog. Then the macro file can be loaded again.

b) A script in the script list has a hotkey or chord assigned.

If any script in the list under "Scripting - Scripts" has a hotkey or chord assignment, new key assignments to internal commands in the key mapping configuration dialog are not saved.
                Workaround is to temporarily delete all hotkeys / chords from all scripts in the scripts list. Removing the scripts from the list is not necessary. After key mapping to the internal commands is finished and the configuration dialog is closed with button OK, the hotkeys or chords can be reassigned to the scripts.

Sep 30, 2009#8

Update note: The key mapping problem when a macro file is loaded and/or hotkeys are assigned to scripts is fixed in UE v15.20 and UES v6.30.

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 05, 2009#9

Indeed works now =) Thanks for your research on what caused it Mofi!

NewbieNewbie

May 20, 2010#10

I just switched to a Windows 7 machine and Ctrl+Shift+0 stopped working. Following the instructions here

Input method editor keyboard shortcut (CTRL+SHIFT+0) switches the input language in Vista

fixed the problem.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jan 12, 2011#11

monkeybeth, thank you for that post - I was configuring a new Win7 machine and Ctrl+Shift+0 not working was driving me crazy.

Could Microsoft have buried that little detail any deeper?