Open the same file twice.

Open the same file twice.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 30, 2011#1

To able to see two different part of my files, I would like to open the same file twice. I'm not sure, but I believe that it was possible with UE windows. Is it possible to do that with UEmac and if the answer is yes, how can you do that ?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 30, 2011#2

In UltraEdit for Windows it is possible to use Duplicate Window or Split Window, but opening the same file twice is not possible in UE for Windows.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jan 31, 2011#3

Yes... you're right... the result for the end user is the same ( the same file is in two different windows ). This is exactly the functionality I need. Is it something that is provided by the mac version?

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 01, 2011#4

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mac version have neither of these two features or any other similar feature as far as I can see.

-gann

NewbieNewbie

Feb 01, 2011#5

Oh... So I guess we can move this topic to the "What functionality should we add to UEmac ?" ;)

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 01, 2011#6

chriscb wrote:Oh... So I guess we can move this topic to the "What functionality should we add to UEmac ?" ;)
              Yes i guess so:) Many people been waiting for UEM because they would like the same editor on their Mac as well, but even if it's UE for Mac it's currently another product with regards to the features. UE for Windows have a lot more features so these two cannot be compared when talking about features. UEM 2.1 is coming up pretty soon, but i doubt there will be a huge difference compared to the current release. What features should be added to UEM.....all the features from the Windows version i think. The price is the same, but you don't get the same. For the Mac you pay more for less when buying UEM.

For me it's so far a huge disappointment and not talking about the bugs which i'm sure will be solved. UEM miss a lot of features compared to the Windows version, but the price is the same. I expected to see UE for Mac, but it's more like a UE lite edition. As long as the price is the same i believe the features should be the same as well. Since the price is the same i also wonder why you have to buy either Windows, Mac or the Linux version. Why not buy a UE license and choose the platform you prefer when you download and install the product.....same key for all platforms. If you later decide to switch from Windows to a Mac or the other way around you should be able to use your current lifetime license instead of buying a new one for the new OS.

I also have a license for SecureCRT and they also released a Mac version recently. They sell a license for SecureCRT and do not split the license into platforms and force multi-platform customers to pay twice. Yes i know IDM have rebate if you buy the multi-platform option, but still! For SecureCRT they also allow the use of a single license on more than a single computer as long as i'm the user of both computers. So i could install the software on my Mac with a valid license without having to buy the software all over again. SecureCRT is not a text editor, but just an example of how the license terms should have been for UE. I think IDM have a lot to learn.

It's not like UE is cheap and currently not even close to being the best or most advanced text editor on the Mac platform. Since i have to buy the text editor for each platform i use anyway i rather pick the best software for each platform as well and there are currently better text editors for the Mac.

-gan