No Dockable Tabs: View multiple files simultaneously

No Dockable Tabs: View multiple files simultaneously

NewbieNewbie

Feb 02, 2011#1

I generally prefer to run UE without dockable tabs enabled. This works fine in most cases, except when I wish to see multiple files simultaneously. Dockable tabs do allow for multiple side-by-side viewing, but I cannot find a way to view different files in an over-under style.

Without dockable tabs turned on, is there a way to view different files (not a split view of the same file) in an over-under style? And even better, in a side-by-side/over-under fashion (4 files in a square)?

If not, I think this would be a good new feature.

Also, I use multiple monitors, it would be great if I could find a way view multiple files over multiple monitors (without the oddity of spanning the main app window across both monitors or running multiple copies of UE).

FYI: Ver 16.10 of UE

dabbink

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 02, 2011#2

The power tip Vertical & Horizontal Split Window describes how to split the document window area for viewing files side-by-side or over-under with not dockable file tabs. It is possible to create multiple vertical OR horizontal panes, but it is not possible to use 2 or more vertical AND 2 or more horizontal panes. So arranging 4 document windows in a square is not possible. That method is also available in UEX (UltraEdit for Linux) and UEM (UltraEdit for Mac).

It is not possible to move a document window outside the application window, a limitation of the MDI API (which can be overcome with lots of program code). You have to enlarge the UE window over all monitors, or start further instances of UltraEdit, for example from within UE using Advanced - Open New Instance of UltraEdit.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 02, 2011#3

Ah yes, now I see where to drag the tab. Thank you.

It is unfortunate that it isn't possible to split both vertically and horizontally. That would be quite useful.

Douglas Abbink