Entering Unicode chars by pressing Alt+value not possible anymore for Unicode files?

Entering Unicode chars by pressing Alt+value not possible anymore for Unicode files?

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 14, 2010#1

Hello,
    after converting a new document with the latest version of UE for windows 7 into UTF8 it's not possible for me to enter special chars by holding ALT key and the ASCII code, e.g. ALT-0132 for typographical quotation marks.

What's the solution?

carlos
    shot_2010-10-14.png (4.1KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 14, 2010#2

You are right. Entering non standard characters using Unicode code is not working anymore in UE v16.20.0.1011 for Unicode files, only for ASCII/ANSI files. In UltraEdit v16.10.0.1036 this worked for all files. This is therefore definitely a bug which you should report to IDM by email for being fixed in (one of the) next version(s) of UltraEdit. Please post if you report it or if somebody else should report it for you to IDM.

As workaround you could use the ASCII Table opened with a click on View - Views/Lists and insert the special characters by double clicking on a character to insert.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 14, 2010#3

Thanks for your answer. Now I'm waiting for an answer via email from IDM...

Answer from support:

Thank you for your message. I am sorry for the trouble you are experiencing. I am happy to help you with this. I was able to reproduce
        the issue you described. I have documented this information and passed it on to our developers for further investigation. We hope to have this
        fixed in a future release. Thank you for taking the time to report this.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 13, 2011#4

This issue was fixed with UE v17.00. Now it is again possible to insert Unicode characters into a Unicode file by using Alt+Num keys like Alt+0132 (or just Alt+132) for inserting character into a Unicode file.