All Available Windows Open on Load

All Available Windows Open on Load

NewbieNewbie

Apr 08, 2011#1

I've been having a strange problem since UltraEdit for Mac was released. I've been exchanging emails with support about it for months to no avail. I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem and has an idea how to work around. Basically, every single UltraEdit window opens when I load UltraEdit (see attached screen shot). I can close them all, shutdown UltraEdit, start it up again, and the same thing happens. It's been driving me nuts for months. Any ideas? Also, I somehow popped out the output window and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put that back into the main window either (maybe it's related).

Thanks.

Matt
    UltraEdit-Mac-Issue.png (147.91KiB)
    Screen shot of UltraEdit load

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 08, 2011#2

I use only UltraEdit for Windows and therefore can only give some hints which are hopefully not complete nonsense for UltraEdit for Mac.

UltraEdit for Windows stores the workspace settings for first instance of UltraEdit (and by default only instance) in a file named uedit32.in0 located in the same directory as the configuration file uedit32.ini containing all other application settings. (Alternatively workspace and configuration settings are stored in registry for current user). On switching to another environment, first uedit32.in0 is replacing the workspace file of the currently used environment by copying uedit32.in0 over current environment name.in1, and then the workspace file of the new environment is used by copying new environment name.in1 over uedit32.in0.

What is stored in such a workspace file?

The state of every view and window: opened, automatically hidden, closed. The floating and docked position of every window and view. (Toolbars are also views.) The floating and docked sizes of every window/view. The docking/floating state of every view and some other window/view related data.

If any of the *.in0 or *.in1 files would be read-only because of file attribute read-only or no write permission on file or folder, the problem you have on your Mac would have also users of UltraEdit for Windows.

The behavior of not remembering current workspace settings could occur also if another application protects or restores always these workspace files.

Because I'm not using UltraEdit for Mac, I don't know where UEM stores the workspace settings. But hopefully any other UEM user can help and forward you into right direction.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 08, 2011#3

It's different on a Mac. I believe all the settings for UltraEdit on Mac are stored in the User's Library/Application Support/UltraEdit folder. The registration is actually stored there as well. I've tried removing that folder and letting it recreate all the structure. That made no difference on this issue. I also tried totally removing the application, searching my drive for all remnants of it, and even repairing permissions, all to no avail. Support hasn't been too helpful so far. I just updated to the latest version and it still does it. I do have an iMac where it doesn't happen, so there has to be something different on this MacBook. This has been going on since the first release. I hope I didn't make a mistake purchasing the unlimited upgrades. I was so ecstatic to see UltraEdit on a Mac since I've always loved it on Windows.

Matt

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 09, 2011#4

The information about window state seems to be stored in a file called UEX.CONF_VOL

Most of the data is crudely encrypted.... and it is laid out similar to a Windows INI file

But I have yet to figure out exactly where this data is located.
          There is a section for dockable windows.... but deleting it has no affect
          Deleting the ENTIRE file does have an effect.... which is to put the display back to "factory default"

Too bad UC for OSX isn't out :)

FYI the encyption is super-simple 20=space 41=A ... etc. basically encoded as 2digit hex value of the ASCII character

I thought maybe it was a permissions issue with the files... so I set them to READ ONLY.... UEM reset them to Read/Write automatically

NewbieNewbie

Apr 09, 2011#5

I did get an update from support. They were finally able to duplicate my issue, so they are working on it.

Matt

NewbieNewbie

Apr 16, 2011#6

I was able to stop this from happening every time I started UE by going to the View Menu then selecting Views/Lists and deselecting all of the windows that I did not want to be visible, ie ASCII Table, Template List, etc... Hope this helps!

NewbieNewbie

Apr 16, 2011#7

I tried this and so far, it seems to have worked!

Matt

Apr 17, 2011#8

I spoke too soon.. the problem returned... :(

Matt

NewbieNewbie

May 09, 2011#9

I have the same problem and I have not found a solution yet.