remapping tab key

remapping tab key

Aug 20, 2004#1

I want to map my tab key to be the word complete key, and map Ctrl-i (or something else) to have the tab functionality.

Mapping the tab key to something else is no problem.

But I can't find TAB in the list of available functions to key map. The closest function I've found in the key mapping window is Insert Literal Text, but that isn't quite the same.

---
    This may be an odd request, but I use ultra-edit exlusively for MEL or C programming, and don't need to tab much, but word complete all the time. I had emacs set up that way and it works pretty well.

thanks for the help!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 22, 2004#2

A TAB is not a function of UE, it is a key like a, b, c, ... So you will not find it in the key mapping list.

You can solve this with a macro. Simply goto Macro - Record..., enter a name for the macro, for example TAB, disable the cancel and assign the hot key you want for the tab. Then press key TAB and stop recording. Open again the macro menu and save the macro to file and set this file as auto load macro file.

After the TAB macro is set, you can assign the tab key to AutoComplete.

Instead of a macro, you could also use a template, which simply contains only one tab and assign a hot key for InsertTemplatex.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria