Ultraedit DDE interface with IAR EWB

Ultraedit DDE interface with IAR EWB

NewbieNewbie

Jan 04, 2005#1

Hello,

I am using the IAR EWB and would like to use the UltraEdit editor as my external editor. I have set it up but I am unable to starte a DDE conversation with the Ultraedit application from IAR.

I have used "uedit32" as my service name. Are there any additonal settings that need to be changed inorder to initiate the DDE conversation?

Regards,
    Jeremy

Feb 27, 2005#2

If you check the command line options for ultraedit you can force it to jump to file/line etc but even if you set up the ultraedit configuration to deal with files changing underneath you; EWB won't handle that. Every file open in EWB is cached and it will not check for changes before saving, it assumes ownership without locking the file and worst if you change things in ultraedit it will not be included in your build until you save in ultraedit, reload in EWB and then build.

I would recomend that if you want to maintain your sanity then you use makefiles and call IAR iccxxx.exe from within the makefile. Set this up to run from the tools menu in ultraedit.

comp.embedded.arm and com.embedded for fuller comment on the quality of the tools you are using.

Mar 10, 2005#3

Here's what works for me (UE ver 11 & IAR EW8051 ver 2.31A):

In IAR EW, go to Options/Settings/External Editor tab:
        - Use External Editor box is checked.
        - Type: Command Line
        - Editor: C:\Program Files\UltraEdit\uedit32.exe
        - Arguments: $FILE_PATH$/$CUR_LINE$

Click on the error listing in IAR (not that I ever have any!), and BOOM, you're over to the spot in UE.

I think I recall having problems getting it to work as a DDE...

Good luck!

tom

Mar 11, 2005#4

:?: you really never had a problem.

I havent used the 8051 tools only the EW-ARM tools I would stilll recomend you run some basic tests - check code duplication/location within the linker and really thrash the maths libs, pay special attention to optimisation effects for all cases - perhaps the 8051 tool-chain is better and to be fair some of the problems I hit were resolved in up issues although I have had 5 up-issues in the last year :evil: so as long as stability of tools isnt too important for you... :wink:

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2005#5

i have following settings in my IAR workbench
            options>settings>external editor

[x] use external editor
            Type: DDE
            Editor: C:\Programme\UltraEdit\UEDIT32.EXE
            Service: UEDIT32
            command: System [open("$FILE_PATH$/$CUR_LINE$")]

alain

NewbieNewbie

Apr 12, 2005#6

Hello,

I have used exactly the settings from boss and my IAR EW gives back:

'A DDE conversation with the service "UEDIT32" could not be established!'

I have tried several settings and different version of the EW an even two different operating systems (Win98SE, Win2K) on two different machines and it won't work at all!

I am using the EW only for debugging and Uedit and an Uedit project file (with project depending tools). Even better for backups.

Did I forget a setting in Uedit?
              axel_f

NewbieNewbie

Apr 12, 2005#7

axel_f wrote: 'A DDE conversation with the service "UEDIT32" could not be established!'
                I could reproduce the error message when i changed the service's name from UEDIT32 to UEDIT ... so changing your service's name from UEDIT32 to UEDIT might do the trick ?!?