Opening files from clear state, UE v17.00 (fixed)

Opening files from clear state, UE v17.00 (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Mar 22, 2011#1

Has anyone else noticed this change from v16:
    When opening a new file, when no other file is open, UE v16 would as the inital selection show the files from the directory where the last file was opened. However, v17.00 reverts to the default directory. At least for me this behavior is rather inconvenient. Mailed IDM last friday, but still no reply.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 23, 2011#2

At Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Load there are
      • Use default directory from shortcut on initial file open
      • Use active file directory for file open dialog default
      The first option did not work in UE v17.00 release candidate 2 and I reported this. Because I use the second option, I have not tested yet if this issue was fixed before release of UE v17.00.

There is a new setting for saving new files at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Save:
      • Remember last directory specified for Save As for session

NewbieNewbie

Mar 23, 2011#3

Mofi, there are 8 possible combinations of the 3 configuration settings. I have tried all of them, but none gives the desired, v16, behaviour.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 23, 2011#4

The third setting is for Save As dialog and not for the File Open dialog. So there are only 4 possible options for File Open and checking both Load options should not be done according to help, so there are only 3 options. I did not really understand which behavior you would like to have.

Here is the report I sent to IDM, if that is a help for you. It also does not contain step by step instructions and is therefore also hard to read and understand. (And I think, IDM support has not really understood what I have written and I have to explain the 3 behaviors better.)

One more note: At Advanced - Configuration - Directories a Default open directory and a Default save directory can be set which results in overruling the other 3 options for File Load/Save As and their complex behaviors.

For testing the new setting "Remember last directory specified for Save As for session", I determined also the behavior of initial directory for the "File Open" (Ctrl+O) and the "Save As" dialogs (F12).

Value of setting Remember last directory specified for Save As for session does not matter for the following tests and therefore I have it disabled.

1) Use active file directory for file open dialog default

With that setting enabled at Configuration - File Handling - Load the initial directory in the "File Open" and in the "Save As" dialog is always the directory of the active file.

In case Ctrl+O or F12 is used after starting UltraEdit and no named file open, the initial directory is set to the directory of the file stored in uedit32.ini under [Settings] with Last File=, in other words folder of last opened file in previous session.

If Last File= is empty, for example on first start after a new installation, the initial directory in "File Open" / "Save As" dialog is determined by Windows. This can be the users "My Documents" folder, but only if Windows has not already recorded from which folder last time a file was opened using the standard "Open" dialog or in which folder last time a file was saved using the standard "Save As" dialog with uedit32.exe. Windows XP records that for every executable in the registry under

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\LastVisitedMRU

The per file extension saved file names under registry key OpenSaveMRU with same registry path as LastVisitedMRU are used for the drop down list of the file name. It is safe to delete the entire ComDlg32 key at any time to clear those histories.

When I start UltraEdit with Last File= empty in uedit32.ini and additionally simply delete above registry key with Regedit and then use Save As for the new file or press Ctrl+O, the initial folder is %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit (respectively UltraEditBeta for RC1).

For more details on Open and Save As Dialog Boxes see the MSDN article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646960.aspx

2) Use active file directory for file open dialog default

This setting is not working anymore at all. I have unchecked "Use active file directory for file open dialog default" and checked instead the setting "Use active file directory for file open dialog default". UE is definitely not using the current working directory on start of UE. The "Start In" directory of the shortcut or the working directory on start of UltraEdit from within a command shell is never taken into account. The initial folder behavior in "Open" and "Save As" dialog is always like described on next point.

3) None of the both settings checked in the Load configuration dialog

It looks like in this case the initial folder is the folder of the last opened file as stored in uedit32.ini with Last File=. In case the value of this setting is empty, the behavior is the same as described for 1) with no last opened file recorded by UltraEdit in uedit32.ini, i.e. default behavior of Windows with LastVisitedMRU respectively current working directory is applied.

Your developers should look into the problem with "Use active file directory for file open dialog default" not working anymore.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 23, 2011#5

Thanks for your response. To clarify, the issue is: When invoking File -> Open with no file presently open, UE v16 (and v15, v14...) has always presented, as initial scope of selection, the directory from where the last file opened came from. Practically a very convenient feature. However, this is not the case in v17.
            Regards
            Hans

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 24, 2011#6

You are right. It looks like the IDM developers fixed the issue I reported (see above), but independent of the 2 load settings. The path used for initial File Open (on Windows XP) is always the current working directory on start of UltraEdit. With Use active file directory for file open dialog default the directory of last opened file should be used instead of working directory on startup. Full name of last opened file is stored in uedit32.ini with Last File=, except if Clear recent document/project and search/replace histories on exit is enabled. Please report this issue to IDM by email.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 19, 2011#7

I just installed v17.00.0.1035 and it still does not appear to be respecting my tick for "Remember last directory specified for Save As for session".

NewbieNewbie

Apr 19, 2011#8

Same here. Last time I emailed IDM they replied that what was fixed in 1032 was a different issue. And that the fix for the issue in this thread was planned for a later hotfix. But obviously it hasnt arrived yet.
                  Hans

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 19, 2011#9

With UE v17.10.0.1010 and only configuration setting Use active file directory for file open dialog default enabled, the preset directory in File Open dialog after starting UltraEdit without opening any file is the directory of last opened file in previous session of UltraEdit as it was in UltraEdit v16.xx.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 25, 2011#10

I can confirm that the issue is fixed. Good.
                      Hans