purge prior versions of files

purge prior versions of files

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 09, 2011#1

All,

I recently started using UE on 64-bit OpenSuSE. While it is nice that it keeps previous versions of files in your directory, it would be nicer if there was a tool or option one could select from the toolbar or menu to purge all prior versions of a file. I'm very used to file versioning since I worked on OpenVMS all my life, but there versions were ;nnn and you simply issued PURGE/LOG *.C/KEEP=2

Has such a utility been provided for UE?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 13, 2011#2

If you would use Microsoft Windows I could develop and post a batch file which does this job and which could be called from within UltraEdit via a user tool. But you are using OpenSuSE and I don't have any experience with this operating system. UltraEdit for Windows has on the Version Backup section in the Backup configuration dialog the option Maximum number of backups to limit the number of backups which makes a batch file for deleting older backups not really necessary.

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 24, 2011#3

Well, technically, a menu option to delete old versions, especially all old versions is necessary. When you finish a project and are looking to cleanup for insertion to code management or simply a zip file for distribution, you don't want to have to delete 20+ versions of every file you ever edited one at a time.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 25, 2011#4

Well, such a "clean" job is common when working with projects. You just have to write a "batch" job to do this and call it via a user or better a project tool. But there is another method, the one I use. Instead of creating backups in the directories of the files, I have set a Default backup directory into which all backups are saved so that the project directories are not polluted with backups. From where a file is restored in case of a problem is not really important, isn't it. From time to time I simply delete everything in the backup directory and that's it. My backup directory is even on a different partition (the partition for temporary files) as my project files (on my data partition) to avoid too much fragmentation on the data partition.