Custom code folding in HTML

Custom code folding in HTML

NewbieNewbie

Sep 09, 2011#1

I want to be able to have custom code folding in the html language file. Up until version 17.00, I could put "/Open Fold Strings" and "/Close Fold Strings" in the html.uew file and I could get code folding to work on my custom tags.

But now, since v17, it does not work. I mean I see some code folding but it is not lined up correctly and basically just fails.

I was hoping maybe it would get fixed at some point, but now we are up to v17.20 and no fix, so I guess I am the only person in the world that wants this. Any ideas on how can I get this to work?

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 09, 2011#2

You are right. I use the default HTML code folding applied on files highlighted with syntax highlighting language containing language marker HTML_LANG. But when I try to override the default code folding by adding for example

/Open Fold Strings = "<p" "<tr"
      /Close Fold Strings = "</p>" "</tr>"

to this language, UltraEdit does not offer any [-] anymore as code folding would be disabled for this language. That's very strange.

Have you reported this wrong behavior of UltraEdit v17.20.0.1013 by email to IDM support?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 09, 2011#3

Thanks for looking into it, Mofi. Yes, I reported it to IDM support when v17 first came out but apparently they are not too interested in fixing it. Starting with v17, if you use HTML_LANG a new built-in tag matching/code folding engine kicks in and you can't do anything custom anymore.

I have used UE for ColdFusion programming for many, many years and as you may know, CFML is essentially ColdFusion tags mixed with HTML. I have always added my CF tags to the custom fold strings -- was very nice. Now, not only can I not customize the fold strings, but the new built-in engine completely breaks down with HTML/CFML files such that even without customizing, you get no usable code folding at all on any tags.

So I am stuck on v16 because it is the last version that will work with HTML/CFML and offer any kind of code folding at all.

Mofi, you seem to be an expert on the word files. Can you think of anyway I can work around the new code folding engine that automatically kicks in on HTML_LANG files? Is there anyway I can craft a custom word file to work with CFML/HTML and give me custom code folding? I tried removing HTML_LANG to stop the built-in engine but then none of the keywords highlight anymore, because I think it has something to do with the keywords all starting with '<' and '</'. Maybe you know some tricks to make it work without the HTML_LANG specifier.

Thanks again for you time.