F3 after text selection != search for selected text when regex is active

F3 after text selection != search for selected text when regex is active

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 18, 2010#1

Hello.

I so much enjoying this feature when you select a text and hit F3 button it starts searching for the selected text. There is only one issue with this feature: if previous search activated regex, then F3 doesn't search for the selected text but continue search for the previously entered regex.

Is there a way make UES ignore/deactivate regex option when text selected and pressed F3?

Thank you.

MasterMaster

Jul 19, 2010#2

You can always use Ctrl+F instead of F3 to find the selected text after a find using regular expressions.

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 19, 2010#3

True, but once you get used to one feature it's quiet annoying when in some cases it produces unexpected results, which sometimes require finding the string you originally wanted to search for and start over with CTRL+F instead...in large files it could be pretty much hustle finding the original string...

MasterMaster

Jul 25, 2010#4

After more testing, I agree that the functionality you have reported is inconsistent with the verbiage in configuration dialog:

Advanced -> Configuration... -> Search -> Miscellaneous
          [x] Find Next/Prev finds selected text (not last searched for text)

If the user has this option checked in their configuration settings and makes a new selection, UE should not find the "last search for text" (even if it were a regular expression) but should find the selected text. I've reported this to IDM.

Jul 28, 2010#5

Here's the response from IDM:

"I agree with you. If a manual selection is initiated by the user following a regex search, F3 should default back to the selected text and not the previous regex...our developers are looking into the functionality of this and evaluating change."

If I hear any more from IDM, I will update this thread.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 11, 2011#6

I just found this thread and am experiencing the same thing in UEStudio 11.10 so I figured I'd resurrect this. I don't do regex searches very often so making sure I turn it off after I do a regex is pretty easy, but when I forget to do it, it's a pain :)

MasterMaster

Oct 11, 2011#7

I don't believe this functionality has changed as of Version 17.20.0.1013.
                F3 continues to find previously defined regular expression instead of newly selected text.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 13, 2011#8

If you rarely use regular expression finds/replaces, I suggest to enable Regular Expressions at Advanced - Configuration - Search - Auto Reset Settings. With that option enabled and you want to search for a newly selected text instead of last regular expression search, you just have to press Ctrl+F and then RETURN for first search for the selected text and then F3 for the following searches.

MasterMaster

Oct 19, 2011#9

I asked IDM about this issue again. The answer is that they have no intention of changing the existing functionality anytime soon.

Clicking the Help button says:

Find next/prev finds selected text (not last searched for text)
                    If this option is selected the editor will find the selected text when a FIND NEXT/PREVIOUS command is performed instead of the previous search string UNLESS the Regular Expressions option is selected.

This help text is unchanged since UE v11.20. In versions prior v11.20 the help for this configuration setting was nearly the same:

When set, UltraEdit will find the selected text when a FIND NEXT/PREVIOUS command is performed instead of the previous search string UNLESS Regular Expressions is selected.