Convert word to title case

Convert word to title case

NewbieNewbie

Dec 14, 2011#1

Hello,

I have been trying to get a regex pattern that will convert to title case words inside:

<title> MY TEST TITLE</title>.

The resulting content should be like:

<title>My Test Title</title>.

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 15, 2011#2

Well, it is possible with a Perl regular expression to change the case of letters of a word. But it is not possible to find the title tag and capitalize all words between the tags. That's the same problem as with inserting <p> within a notes tag. This is a 2 step process: first find the text between tags, second find the words within the selection and make the first character upper case and all other lower case.

So you need again a macro for this task. I have to offer 2 possible solutions. The first one use normal finds to select the text between the tags (plus </ of closing title tag) and use UltraEdit command Format - Capitalize.

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      HexOff
      PerlReOn
      Find "<title"
      Key RIGHT ARROW
      StartSelect
      Find Select "</"
      ToCaps
      EndSelect

The second macro is the same as above, but instead of ToCaps following Perl regular expression replace is used.

Find RegExp SelectText "\<(\w)(\w*)\>"
      Replace All "\U\1\E\L\2\E"

NewbieNewbie

Dec 15, 2011#3

Hello Mofi,

I tried the macro and it seems to work with the ToCaps, but it did not replace all instances in all <title></title> in the open document, it did change only all words in one instance of <title></title>. Is that normal?

When I tried with the perl replace all option, it did the same, replacing only all words in one instance of <title></title>. I thought with replace all, it should be able to replace all words in all instance of <title></title>?

This is the macro I used with the perl option, I am doing something wrong?

InsertMode
        ColumnModeOff
        HexOff
        PerlReOn
        Find "<title"
        Key RIGHT ARROW
        StartSelect
        Find Select "</"

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 15, 2011#4

A HTML file contains the <title> tag only once (or better it should contain it only once at top of the file in the head section). The macro is not written for doing that on multiple <title> tags within a file. You need to wrap a loop around the lines with an exit condition if your files contain multiple title tags.

InsertMode
          ColumnModeOff
          HexOff
          PerlReOn

Loop 0

Find "<title"
          IfNotFound
          ExitLoop
          EndIf

Key RIGHT ARROW
          StartSelect
          Find Select "</"

EndSelect
          EndLoop

Parameter SelectText is like selecting Selected Text in the Replace dialog for Replace Where. It limits the replace to the selected text. Otherwise the Perl regular expression Replace All would capitalize all words in the entire file beginning from current position of the caret to bottom of file.

By the way: ToCaps is better than the Perl method because the Perl method supports only letters A-Za-z and no local specific case changes like for the German umlauts ÄäÖöÜü as ToCaps supports. Well, if your text is in English, the limited case change capabilities of the Perl engine does not matter.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 15, 2011#5

Thanks Mofi,

This definitely answers my needs.

The legacy document some times may contain more than one <title></title>, and then it gets broken/split into more than one XML file afterwards.

Dec 15, 2011#6

Mofi,

One more question, is it possible to get this macro to work on multiple files in a folder? I tried the other macro you directed me to in one of my earlier post but for some reason it did not work.

Thanks again for your help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 15, 2011#7

I have just added additional information to my post Run Macro on all files within folder. So please read it again. Step by step instruction for running this macro on all files in a directory.
                1. Open Advanced - Configuration - Search - Set Find Output Format, verify that setting Find Summary is checked and that the string starts with Search complete, found. If you are using a non English version of UltraEdit, remember what are the first words of this string (case sensitive!). It is not necessary to use the English string here in the configuration. Close the configuration dialog with Cancel (if nothing changed) or OK (if setting enabled).
                2. Click on Macro - Delete All to delete all currently loaded macros in the macro buffer. This step is not really necessary, but it makes the step by step instruction for me easier to write.
                3. Click on Macro - Edit Macro.
                4. Click on button New Macro.
                5. Enter as macro name CapitalizeTitles. Uncheck macro property Show Cancel dialog for this macro. The property Continue if search string not found remains checked. Press button OK.
                6. Switch to your browser, copy following lines into Windows clipboard, select all lines in Edit/Create Macro dialog and press Ctrl+V to replace them by the lines below.

Code: Select all

InsertMode
                  ColumnModeOff
                  HexOff
                  PerlReOn
                  Loop 0
                  Find "<title"
                  IfNotFound
                  ExitLoop
                  EndIf
                  Key RIGHT ARROW
                  StartSelect
                  Find Select "</"
                  ToCaps
                  EndSelect
                  EndLoop
                7. Make sure there is no empty line at end of the macro source becaues that would be interpreted by UltraEdit as incorrect macro command.
                8. Click again on button New Macro.
                9. Enter as macro name CapTitlesInFiles. Uncheck macro property Show Cancel dialog for this macro. The property Continue if search string not found remains checked. Press button OK.
                10. UltraEdit asks you now if you want to update the modified macro CapitalizeTitles. Confirm that with clicking on button Yes.
                11. Switch to your browser, copy following lines into Windows clipboard, select all lines in Edit/Create Macro dialog and press Ctrl+V to replace them by the lines below.

Code: Select all

FindInFiles "directory" "file type" ""
                  Loop
                  Find MatchCase Up "Search complete, found"
                  IfFound
                  ExitLoop
                  Else
                  NextWindow
                  EndIf
                  EndLoop
                  DeleteLine
                  SelectToBottom
                  IfSel
                  Delete
                  EndIf
                  UnicodeToASCII
                  Loop
                  IfEof
                  ExitLoop
                  EndIf
                  StartSelect
                  Key END
                  IfSel
                  Open "^s"
                  PlayMacro 1 "Name of your macro"
                  CloseFile Save
                  EndIf
                  EndSelect
                  DeleteLine
                  EndLoop
                  CloseFile NoSave
                12. Change on the first line the directory string to the path of the directory containing your files. The path must end with a backslash.
                13. Also on first line change the file type string to *.* or *.xml or whatever is best for updating only the files with the title tags.
                14. If the macro should run on all files of a directory tree instead of just all files within the specified directory, insert on first line between the command FindInFiles and the directory string the parameter keyword Recursive (with an additional space between this word and the double quote character of the directory string).
                15. If you are not using English version of UltraEdit or you have already customized the find summary string, adapt the string Search complete, found to your string, refer to point 1 of the list.
                16. Replace Name of your macro and the PlayMacro command line with CapitalizeTitles as this is the name of the just before created macro.
                17. Make sure there is no empty line at end of the macro source becaues that would be interpreted by UltraEdit as incorrect macro command.
                18. Click on button Close.
                19. Confirm that you want to update the macro CapTitlesInFiles with clicking on button Yes.
                20. Use Macro - Save All to save these 2 macros into a macro file.
                Now the 2 macros are ready for execution. The last created macro CapTitlesInFiles is automatically selected as active macro. Therefore you only need to click on Macro - Play Again to execute and it watch how UltraEdit updates now your files one after the other.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 15, 2011#8

Mofi,

Thank you very much for these detailed steps, I will report back regarding the result.