Duplicate window at current cursor position

Duplicate window at current cursor position

NewbieNewbie

May 10, 2008#1

I'm an 'orphaned' Codewright user looking for a new home! A feature that product had was to create a duplicate window at the current cursor position by just drawing on the background canvas. Slickedit, which I'm also looking at, has the same capability. Is there any equivalent in Ultraedit?
    The duplicate window Menu option suffers in Ultraedit (IMO) by always opening at the beginning of file and with fixed geometry.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 10, 2008#2

It is a good idea to set the cursor to same position as in the first instance of a file when opening a duplicate window. I will write a feature request email to IDM support. It should be not too difficult to implement this by the IDM developers.

I don't know Codewright nor Slickedit, so I don't know how the duplicate window feature works in these applications. However, I use the duplicate window feature very rarely. Most of the time I use the split window feature when I have to work on 2 different positions at the same time within the same file. Is that feature maybe an option for you?

NewbieNewbie

May 16, 2008#3

Thanks for the reply. Split window has it's place, but I find it too limited most of the time, as I often have more than two views open into the same file.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 10, 2012#4

I have setup "Allow multiple instances" to run two UE instances, each on one screen. Additionally, I'd like to duplicate the window of an open document and move one of the duplicates to the other UE instance on the other screen. But this seem to be impossible right now. I can open one and the same file in two UE instances, but naturally, one of them wants to be reloaded anytime I save any of the open documents.

Is there a solution to have a duplicated window on two different screens (besides extending the window of one UE instance over two screens and working with non-maximalized document subwindows?)

MasterMaster

Feb 10, 2012#5

Mofi wrote:It is a good idea to set the cursor to same position as in the first instance of a file when opening a duplicate window. I will write a feature request email to IDM support. It should be not too difficult to implement this by the IDM developers.
            That would be nice to see implemented in UE 18, if it isn't too much on the coding. I wouldn't mind seeing that myself. I always have to do a "Goto" for the line/column.

Mofi, can you write a script/macro that will open the duplicate window and position it to the same place as the window that was duplicated? That would be a big help to many people.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 12, 2012#6

Zababa: The duplicate window feature is a feature of the multi document interface. This feature opens just a second window for the same internal document object, similar to splitting a document window into 2 panes. Because the second window is just a child window linked to same document object as original window, it is not possible to move such a window to a second instance of UltraEdit because the underlying document object does not exist in the other instance of UltraEdit.

rhapdog: The command to open a duplicate window is not available as scripting or macro command. So a script could just execute a goto line command on a manually opened duplicate window. But that does not result in same display because how many lines are visible above the line with caret can't be evaluated by a script. And I have never analyzed until now what the UltraEdit document array contains when a duplicate window of a document exists. Better would be the IDM developers would add code to open the duplicate window with same caret position and lines displayed as original window.