UE 18.00.0.1025 crashes when pressing the ALT key (fixed)

UE 18.00.0.1025 crashes when pressing the ALT key (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Mar 09, 2012#1

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the latest release? I'm running Windows 7 - 64bit and when ever I press the ALT key, UE crashes. I've re-installed the app and I still get the same thing. Any ideas?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 09, 2012#2

I have installed UE v18.00.0.1025 on Windows XP SP3 x86 and pressing left ALT key does nothing uncommon. On first hit it moves focus the first item in menu and on second hit it moves focus back to active document window. That's the standard behavior for a single hit of left ALT key in multi-document applications.

I should add that I'm using Windows Classic theme with all visual effects disabled for best performance, but with having the Windows setting enabled to always see the accelerator key (underscore below a character) of menu commands and items in dialogs. The Windows default is that the accelerator keys are only displayed if left ALT key is pressed and hold.

What is the first item in menu depends on File Tabs - Operation setting. The menu contains as first item the application icon with the system menu of the document window with Dockable enabled. The first menu item is simply the menu File with Dockable not checked.

Do you press any additional key or really just the ALT key?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 09, 2012#3

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I went back to release 17.30.0.1002 and all is well again with no problems. I've UN-installed the version 18 release completely and re-installed it again with the same results. I've contacted IDM with the hope of correcting the problem.

And it's just the ALT key. I've also noticed problems with the CTRL-C/CTRL-V where copying a block of code using CTRL-C and pasting with CTRL-V results in gibberish on the screen and a file corruption error.

Very strange

NewbieNewbie

Mar 10, 2012#4

I am running 64 bit Win 7 with the 1025 release and do not see any of the symptoms you mention for the ALT key or the copy/paste key sequences. So whatever it is, it is not related to 64 bit windows 7 alone. You may want to try to use task manager to stop processes that may not be common to most other users to see if you can find one that is causing your issues (if you want to bother reinstalling the newer release).

NewbieNewbie

Mar 13, 2012#5

Update: Well after working with IDM, they were able to duplicate and correct the problem. Thanks to the UE team for your fast response.

-Pilot

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 13, 2012#6

Dear Pilot,
              Could you elaborate on the cause and solutions? Is there an update coming up?
              In the past, I've gone through numerous "upgrade-to-crash" (even with UE, I must say) so this has got my attention.
              Like many, I can't afford much "down-time", so I hold on to my 17.xx and keep reading here to get the sense of the new UE stability.
              Regards,
              vhdluser

NewbieNewbie

Mar 13, 2012#7

They didn't elaborate too much. They asked me to send them a zipped up copy of my USER folder (not the app folder in the Programsx86 directory). Two days later I got an email stating that they duplicated the problem and included release 18.00.0.1028. After installing it, all was good again. I liked their fast turn around to solve the problem. Class act!! They didn't say what caused the issue but there was a conflict somewhere.

-Pilot

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 14, 2012#8

Thank you Pilot. Having Win7x64, I'll wait a bit, then.
                  And yes, this has been my experience as well.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 14, 2012#9

If the problem depended on the files in %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit, either a configuration setting stored in uedit32.ini or a key mapping configuation as stored in uedit32.uek was the reason of the problem. It is possible that one of the 2 files were not 100% correct. Perhaps something was corrupt. However, an application should not crash on wrong configuration data and therefore the IDM developers investigated and fixed it (in comparison to other software companies like VMware which was not interested in a bug report about a crash on opening the Help - About VMware Workstation dialog if logging is disabled and the user has not paid for technical support requests). Possible is also that in a previous version there was a combination of settings resulting in new version in a crash and this needed to be fixed in new version of UltraEdit.

I was always able to find out by myself which setting(s) resulted in abnormal behavior and could then report IDM a detailed step by step instruction list how to reproduce the wrong behavior starting from a complete new configuration. But I'm a very experienced UltraEdit user and therefore such problems are usually analyzed by IDM support and finally by the developers.

MasterMaster

Mar 14, 2012#10

IDM has always been awesome about fixing reported bugs and/or crashes. I have never had a problem in this area, and they are always quick about a solution. Kudos to IDM for continuing this great tradition of excellence by getting things fixed quickly.

That said, although I am a bit impatient to get all the new goodies introduced in v18, I'm glad my lifetime upgrades are for UEStudio, which will reap the benefits of being made more stable before I get it, which means little or no down time, except to play with and get familiar with all the new goodies. It takes patience, but it is well worth it, especially for all the extras UES has.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 17, 2012#11

According to list of changes this issue is fixed with UE v18.00.0.1029.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 20, 2012#12

Mofi wrote:According to list of changes this issue is fixed with UE v18.00.0.1029.
                          Where can I find the last list of changes? I would like to follow the list of bugs that are fixed in UE v18. Thanks :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 20, 2012#13

UltraEdit hotfix information containing the list of latest fixes is opened when clicking in UltraEdit on Help - Check for Updates, an update is available and the user clicks on button See what's new (or the page is opened directly on Check for Updates depending on version of UltraEdit).

NewbieNewbie

Mar 20, 2012#14

Thank you, Mofi.