Automatic Save panel on configuration dialog is blank in UEm 18.00.0.1034

Automatic Save panel on configuration dialog is blank in UEm 18.00.0.1034

NewbieNewbie

Mar 28, 2012#1

Maybe I'm the only one this is happening to, but would anyone have any idea why the Automatic Save panel (under Advanced >> Configuration >> File Handling >> Backup) might be blank? It'd be so nice to have automatic save and I can't figure out why I don't have it. The fact that I have UE installed on a secondary hard drive rather than on C: shouldn't make any difference, should it?

config-no-autosave.png (66.39KiB)
    Screenshot of the configuration dialog showing nothing under "Automatic Save".

Has anyone else seen this?

My version of UltraEdit:
    UltraEdit Portable Text/HEX Editor
    Version 18.00.0.1034
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

MasterMaster

Mar 28, 2012#2

I can confirm this. It only affects UE Portable. UE 18.00.0.1034 has the information, and UE Portable does not.

You are also missing a checkbox under Version backup for: On automatic save, as well as the box to enter the maximum number of saves for Version Backup.

I only just installed both this morning (I've been using UEStudio), and noticed the difference between the 2 when trying to set them up side by side to configure them the same. I suppose I could have configured UE, then copied the INI to UE Portable, but as some of the features are disabled for UE Portable, I wasn't sure if it would cause problems, so was going to come here and ask first.

I know there are supposed to be several features "disabled" in the portable version of UE, but am not sure if this was supposed to be one of them. It seems odd that the spinner button for the maximum number of saves is visible, but disabled, but the actual text box that contains the number is absent. It also seems to me that if you should be able to specify the number of backups if you are using Version Backup.

I'll have to shoot an email to IDM to ask about their intent on this. Most likely, this is just one of the features that just aren't feasible or easily handled in the portable version.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 28, 2012#3

I could be wrong, but the impression I had was that the only features disabled in the Portable version were the features that would be impractical in a version that can be carried from one computer to another -- showing "Open in UltraEdit Portable" in the Explorer's right-click menu, and associating file extensions with UltraEdit Portable.

IMO automatic save should be easy for any app to support -- it's just an internal timer that does a normal file save (or a save-as-backup, or both) when the alarm goes off.

Thanks for replying, by the way.

MasterMaster

Mar 28, 2012#4

I'm a bit shocked by that one myself. I personally see no reason why the automatic save should not be implemented. However, it is not.

This appears to be the only thing disabled which does not have to do with shell integration of some sort. I recommend you shooting an email to support and finding if there is a reason this is disabled, or if the disabling was a mistake. It could have been an "accidental" disabling. Especially since the "Maximum number of backups" was only "half" erased, and left the spinner button.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 29, 2012#5

Email sent. Hopefully IDM will fix this soon.

Mar 30, 2012#6

I got an email back from IDM:
              IDM wrote:I can confirm that the version backup functionality should be available once the application is registered. I have reported this to our developers, and this will be corrected in a future update.
              I'm hoping it's an easy fix.