Make UEm do everything that you can do in UltraEdit!

Make UEm do everything that you can do in UltraEdit!

MasterMaster

Apr 03, 2012#1

I decided to make this post, because recently I have been using UEPortable, and feel I would like to contribute something that might help other users of UEPortable get the most out of their product, especially if they are missing out on a few key features that are unavailable in the portable version.

What can you do with UltraEdit that you can't do with UltraEdit Portable?
    1. Use DDE for file associations. ( Don't need this, just need the regular file associations.)
    2. Automatic Save (IDM is working on getting this feature enabled. See post at Automatic Save panel on configuration dialog is blank in UEm 18.00.0.1034)
    3. File Associations
    4. Integrate with Explorer
    5. Your special programmer's font that you like is always there in the Desktop version of UltraEdit.

#1 is no big deal, as long as #3 can be done.

#2 will be fixed in an upcoming release.  

#3 can be handled with a program called PortableFileAssociator, which can be downloaded from http://portableapps.com/node/15583
    You do not need Admin rights to add file associations using this program. Just configure it once on your USB device, and set it up from whatever menu system you use to automatically launch when you start your launcher. (If your launcher supports it.)  

It can be configured to backup current file associations, and restore them when you shut down the program.  It can also be configured to either "over-ride" the hosts file associations or to "only use associations the host does not already have."  Very versatile.

#4 can be handled with a little program called FileMenu Tools. Get FileMenu Tools from http://www.lopesoft.com/en/fmtools/info.html
    This will allow you to integrate UltraEdit Portable with Explorer on any system you plug into.  That's Awesomesause! There are a great number of other tools included with FileMenu Tools, and I generally have mine all disabled but add menu options for opening with UEP etc.

#5 can be handled with a little portable application called FontsPortable, which you can download from http://www.mediafire.com/?0itmcsywj5l

Admin rights not required.

FontsPortable only supports True Type Fonts. Since my favorite fonts for UE are Raster fonts (FON) because Raster fonts are cleaner, crisper, and easier on the eyes, I may work on a version in the near future that will handle portability of both TTF and FON files. If anyone is interested in this capability and would like to see me put out a utility that would handle this, then please let me know in this topic. A little encouragement will go a long way. :)

Also, FontsPortable loads the fonts in memory, so be careful how many you load, as it can become a memory hog if you aren't careful.  

I generally just load the one programmer's font that I like to use, and have FontsPortable auto-started by my PStart. Then my precious font is always there when I need it, and I never have to use that awful Courier New ever again!

Do you know something useful to help us get more out of UE Portable? Do you know of a better alternative solution than the ones I have mentioned? Let us know here!  I for one would love to hear about it.