Flicker while maintaining a black background (solved)

Flicker while maintaining a black background (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Jun 22, 2011#1

If you choose a dark background and low-powered computer to save the file, the editor is blinking, change the encoding and cringe position in the file .. As a result, everything is OK, but annoying flicker ..

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 23, 2011#2

UltraEdit uses since v15.00 the GDI+ library instead of classic GDI library for the GUI due to lots of users requests for a state-of-the-'art "stylish" GUI for UltraEdit. GDI+ offers feature likes auto-hiding views and other enhancements, but GDI+ is known to be slower on display updates then classic GDI because of all the new stylish elements. That is no problem for users using a computer not older than 5 years, but when using an even older computer, GDI+ as used also in MS Office 2007 / 2010, MS Visual Studio 2005 and later, and other applications from other vendors CAN easily result in a flickering display. Well, I use latest UltraEdit also on a Dell Optiplex GX 260 which is much older than 5 years and I don't see a flickering. But I have also degraded Windows XP GUI to Windows 95 GUI and customized GUI of UltraEdit to look like GUI of UE v11 which results in less display updates because I want a simple looking GUI and not a "stylish" or "cool" GUI in all applications I use.

When using a dark color scheme the syntax highlighting colors should be set accordingly. Your description of the display issue is not detailed enough to be able to give you some hints which perhaps helps on this issue.

Which operating system do you use?
      I'm using Windows XP SP3 x86.

Which Windows desktop theme do you use (XP or Classic)?
      I'm using Windows Classic theme with additionally disabled color fading in active and inactive title bar (= Windows 95 GUI).

Do you have disabled any visual effects?
      I have disabled all for best performance.

Do you use ClearType?
      I have disabled ClearType and any font smoothing completely.

Which color scheme do you use in UltraEdit and in the wordfiles?
      See New Color Scheme (Tango Dark) and the Color Scheme Management Tool where I have uploaded also the color scheme file saved with this tool which I use.

Which features do you have enabled with effect on display?
      A screenshot saved as PNG file and uploaded to this topic would be helpful to identify them. You can see how UltraEdit looks like on my computer at Classic Theme/Skin. I use nowadays UE v17.10, but the UltraEdit window still looks like posted there, just the toolbar looks different now because of the change of the standard symbols and some changes I made in my customized toolbar.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 23, 2011#3

Which operating system do you use?
        Windows 7, ASUS EEE PC (netbook), Intel Atom CPU N450 @1.66 GHz, RAM 2 Gb
        UEStudio, ver 11.00.0.1009

Which Windows desktop theme do you use (XP or Classic)?
        Windows 7 Simple - very very simple, not aero, etc..

Do you have disabled any visual effects?
        I have disabled all for best performance - YES!

Do you use ClearType?
        Yes..

Which color scheme do you use in UltraEdit and in the wordfiles?
        Custom, look attachment image

Which features do you have enabled with effect on display?

Open files with UTF-mode FTP editing, ~ 20 pages. When you save (<1 sec.):
        1. The editor shows the beginning of the file. Moreover, the scrollbar does not change position.
        2. The file encoding is not UTF.
        3. The background changed to light.
        4. A window opens to save the FTP (log window).
        5. Everything returns to its original normal:)
        ue.jpg (140.22KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 23, 2011#4

Okay. Your hardware should be not the problem because your netbook should have enough performance according to the data.

You have configured your Windows 7 to good display performance. If not too many processes are running in the background, the display settings of the operating system can be excluded as reason for the flickering issue.

You have the ruler enabled resulting redrawing this part of the screen every time the caret is moved horizontally while column number in status bar must be also updated. And you use code folding and display also graphical lines and indent lines making display updates slower.

However, if I have understood you correct, the flickering happens only on saving UTF-8 encoded files via FTP. Well, UTF-8 encoded files must be converted on load to UTF-16 LE for Unicode editing and converted back to UTF-8 on save. The temporary file stored in directory as defined by environment variable TEMP contains 2 bytes per character. Uploading the file after conversion from UTF-16 LE to UTF-8 on Save with FTP to your server causes an extra delay. And if integrated symbol parser is used and configured to parse the file for symbols on save and update the symbol database for current file, another source for a delay is active. To prevent running the integrated symbol parser on every file save open Advanced - Configuration - IDE - IntelliTips - Parser and uncheck setting Auto re-parse documents when saved.

But all these tasks done by UEStudio in the background should nevertheless not result in any display change. Displaying shortly the top of the file with a different encoding and with a different color scheme is a strange behavior. I'm not using the FTP feature and therefore can't evaluate if that happens on my computer too. I tried to reproduce this issue offline with a UTF-8 HTML file with 136 kB, but could not see anything you observe on saving a UTF-8 encoded file via FTP.

I suggest to report this issue by email to IDM with all the information as posted in your second post. Perhaps the IDM developers have an idea what causes this strange display during FTP save and can fix it.

It is perhaps interesting for you and IDM if that happens only for UTF-8 encoded files opened via FTP.

Can you observe this behavior also when saving an ASCII file loaded/saved via FTP?

Can you observe this behavior also when saving a UTF-8 encoded file loaded/saved from/to local drive?

Can you observe this behavior also when clicking on View - View as (Highlighting File Type) - No Highlighting for the UTF-8 encoded file loaded/saved via FTP before saving the file?

Using No Highlighting disables temporarily for the active file all the features based on syntax highlighting like function string search and code folding.

BTW: Screenshots saved as PNG are better in quality because of lossless compression and are in general smaller in file size than screenshots saved as JPG. PNG is supported by all applications supporting also JPG.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 23, 2011#5

Here's a video of what is happening on the screen.

// Тест тест тест UTF-8 тест тест тест

this is a test string in Russian encoding UTF. Located on the first page of the file.
            Stop the video when the background is light, you will see that the encoding of this string is different.

> You have the ruler enabled resulting redrawing...

thank you. I turned off.

> the flickering happens only on saving UTF-8 encoded files via FTP...

I really enjoy the writing speed. You can at the time of conversion and other background operations and disable the display of these operations on the screen? After all, I do not want to see it, right? :)

> Advanced - Configuration - IDE - IntelliTips - Parser and uncheck setting Auto re-parse documents when saved

Nothing has changed after that ..

> Can you observe this behavior also when saving an ASCII file loaded/saved via FTP?

yes! I watch it on any file - UTF, ASCII

> Can you observe this behavior also when saving a UTF-8 encoded file loaded/saved from/to local drive?

with local files, everything is OK!

> Can you observe this behavior also when clicking on View - View as (Highlighting File Type)
            >- No Highlighting for the UTF-8 encoded file loaded/saved via FTP before saving the file?

In this case, such behavior is not observed.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 24, 2011#6

Okay, we have together now isolated the problem as much as we can. It is now time for you to report the problem by email to IDM support. I'm just a user like you and not an employee of IDM. I can't help further. Please report by email to IDM support (see top of the page) that

UEStudio v11.00.0.1009 on your netbook ASUS EEE PC with an Intel Atom CPU N450 @1.66 GHz, RAM 2 GB with Windows 7 using Windows Classic desktop theme and all visual effects disabled for best performance displays shortly the top of the file with a different encoding for UTF-8 files and a different UES color scheme for all files on save via FTP. This happens only on FTP loaded/saved files and for all type of files (ASCII and UTF-8), but only if syntax highlighting is enabled for the Javascript *.js files. On local files there is no such display problem. Append the link to the video (which I don't have watched, but IDM support will do surely).

You should be able to continue editing while saving is done by UEStudio with all the processes required in the background.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 24, 2011#7

Thanks for your help. I sent the report to support the mail.

NewbieNewbie

Background color is reversed at File Save (solved)

Sep 23, 2011#8

Hi,

I use a UE for C programming with a black background.

At file save, the problem is started.

When I push a Ctrl+S for save a file, the display screen is reversed for a moment.

At this time, my eyes are uncomfortable or hurt.

Please check this a problem.

<Normal state>
                  ue-1.jpg (26.71KiB)

<File Save>
                  ue-2.jpg (20.63KiB)

<Movie>
                  ue_display.rar is a AVI file.

--------------------------------------
                  UE 17.20.0.1016 Korean.
                  Windows 7 Ultimate Korean 32bit
                  --------------------------------------
                  ue_display.rar (102.9 KiB)   283

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Background color is reversed at File Save (solved)

Sep 24, 2011#9

Another user reported the same a 3 months ago, see above. But reporting problems in the user-to-user forum will have no effect on future versions. Such reports must be sent to IDM support by email, see top of the page.

Site AdminSite Admin

Apr 17, 2012#10

Hello Everyone,

I just came across this topic and the corresponding record of this in our internal issue tracking system. What you're seeing here is not really a bug nor related to the framework or painting of the application.

UltraEdit/UEStudio both support a separate background color setting for read-only files. If you do not define this (for example, if you don't know about it), then white is used as the default. So the "flashing" effect you are seeing is actually the file momentarily becoming read-only as it is transferred back to your FTP server. To prevent this, change the read-only background color setting in View -> Set Colors (scroll down and look for the "Read Only Background" color swatch).

Thanks,

Ben