Uninstall of UltraEdit 12.10a hangs - how to uninstall UE?

Uninstall of UltraEdit 12.10a hangs - how to uninstall UE?

Jun 04, 2012#1

Hi,
    on Windows XP SP3 (using Internet Explorer 8 - seen on forums that this is important) I would like to uninstall UltraEdit 12.10a. I did the following:

1. Start | Control Panel | Add or Remove programs.
    2. Select "UltraEdit-32" from list and click on Remove button.
    3. Ultraedit window opens for split of a second and it is hidden.

Nothing else happens. From Windows Task Manager I can see "Uninstall.exe" file doing nothing (no CPU consumption or any other activity). I left computer untouched for 15 minutes (and no other task is running on Windows - CPU consumption is 0 on Windows Task Manager Performance tab).

How to uninstall Ultraedit?
    Regards

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 04, 2012#2

Do you have other IDM Computer Solutions applications installed like UltraCompare, UltraSentry and UEStudio or just the old version of UltraEdit?

I can offer a manual uninstall procedure for UE v12.10a, but I need to know if other IDM Computer Solutions applications are also installed to give the correct instructions which registry keys to delete.

Before uninstall UltraEdit, start it a last time and open Advanced - Configuration - File Associations. Make sure that no file type is associated anymore with UltraEdit.

Jun 04, 2012#3

I have only UltraEdit installed, no other product from IDM Computer Solutions. Also Advanced - Configuration - File Associations settings in UltraEdit is an empty window, so no files associated. But when I click on .txt file in Windows Explorer UltraEdit opens up and opens the file, so some file association must be done. Also on right click on any Windows Explorer file results in displaying "Ultraedit" option to choose from, if chosen then UltraEdit opens specified file.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 05, 2012#4

If double clicking on a *.txt file results in opening the file in UltraEdit, you have either associated the file extension TXT with Windows Explorer instead of UltraEdit and therefore have to change it also with Windows Explorer (Folder Options - File Types - TXT), or you have manually installed also the Notepad replacement tool which has the name notepad.exe, but is not Notepad and instead starts UltraEdit. In second case you have to manually replace notepad.exe replacement by real notepad.exe of Windows XP whereever found in Windows directory and its (hidden system) subdirectories, see How to replace Notepad with UltraEdit?

UltraEdit v12.10a has not added much data to the registry in comparison to newer versions of UltraEdit using MSI and enhanced FTP/Telnet support (as UE v12.20 and later versions). Therefore it is quite easy to manually unregister UltraEdit v12.10a.

For others reading the instructions below: This manual uninstall is only for UE v12.10a. and does not work for later versions. UltraEdit v12.20 already adds much more keys to registry.

Start Notepad (or UltraEdit the last time), paste following lines into a new text file and save the file as UnInstUE1210.reg. Then double click on this registry file and comfirm importing the data. The file does not add anything to registry, but instead deletes registry keys.

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit-32]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\UEDIT32.exe]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{43B6667D-7520-4186-B05B-F5C0494C495D}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\IDM Computer Solutions]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TOOLSIDM]
          Next run regedit.exe and navigate to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name in the tree. If the default string at top of right side contains uedit32.exe, replace the value of the default string by C:\Windows\Notepad.exe if Windows XP is installed in directory C:\Windows, otherwise use the correct path to Notepad.exe in Windows directory. Exit Regedit after this modification.

Now open Control Panel, double click on System (or press key combination left Win+Break) to open the system settings configuration dialog. Select tab Advanced and click on button Environment Variables. Look in both environment variables lists for variable PATH. If one of them contains the UltraEdit program files directory, select variable PATH, press button Edit below the list and remove the UltraEdit program files directory with the semicolon at end. Press OK several times to close the system settings configuration dialog.

You have to restart now Windows as the shell extension DLL of UltraEdit is still loaded by Windows Explorer although already unregistered and therefore can't be deleted. After restart of Windows
          • delete the UltraEdit program files directory completely,
          • copy %APPDATA% into address bar of Windows Explorer, hit key RETURN and delete the directory IDMComp completely,
          • delete in start menu of Windows the UltraEdit group with the UltraEdit shortcuts if present,
          • delete on desktop the UltraEdit shortcut(s) if present,
          • delete in quick launch bar on Windows task bar the UltraEdit shortcut if present,
          • delete in Windows directory all files starting with uedit32, all *.mfg, *.pfg and *.tfg in case the user customization files are in Windows directory instead of %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit.
          You are finished. UltraEdit is completely uninstalled including the user customization files and settings normally not removed by the uninstaller.

Jun 05, 2012#5

Phenomenal instructions. Thanks a lot, problem solved.